Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stunning Saturn at opposition

kerrylewis

Got up at 1.00 for Saturn. I could not see it naked eye at first because of the nearby very bright  full moon. But through the scope it was immediately stunning. I had set up the Tak  on Jupiter in the evening in ‘straight through’ mode, ie without a diagonal, so that I could use the ADC with its added bubble level which arrived from FLO yesterday. Jupiter looked good with clear detail so I was optimistic for Saturn and I was not disappointed.

The seeing was very steady and the planet and rings very sharp. The Seeliger Effect was very obvious and fascinating to see. This the phenomenon where the rings appear brighter around opposition as the particles within them reflect the sun straight back. The planet itself looked dusky in comparison to the rings although subtle banding detail was visible. The Cassini division was clear all round and the whole had that marvellous 3D effect.

I would say that the view was almost as good as the best I’ve seen and a surprise given the low altitude. I’m not sure how much the ADC contributed because I didn’t fiddle with it too much given the quality of the view. I just enjoyed it - the bright shiny rings and the dusky planet. 

Got up again for Mars at 3.00 but it seems like the dust storm is still wiping out most of the detail. I was happy enough with Saturn. 

Hello Kerry, great report, I have had the same views for the last few days, but

I have been using a binoviewer, as you said, the detail is remarkable, considering

how low down Saturn is.

Clear Sky's.

Great report Kerry. I was out until about 00:30 last night and Saturn was stunning. For me nothing beats a crisp view of Saturn (solar system observing). The colour and banding apparent and Cassini division sharp. 

Plenty of detail on Jupiter and Mars so bright but also very low so nothing like as sharp. I should have stayed up another couple of hours but was set up in my wifes parent's garden to get views of Saturn and Mars.

A good night Kerry, I took a couple of vid's of Saturn, bit close to the Moon and haven't looked at them yet, then waited until 2.00am for Mars to clear the trees when it promptly clouded over, hope the weather holds out for another go.

Dave

Good result there Kerry. I’ve not yet had a decent view of Saturn this year. I was out last night but had to pack in before it cleared the trees opposite my house. I could set up in the garden but tend to get eaten alive when I do that at the moment!

Archived