Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Work from June 26, 2018

Lowjiber

Wow! Those images are absolutely beautiful! Probably a dumb question, but how much can you see these filaments move? Is it a bit like the hour hand on a clock, or do they move fast?

I can't help wondering though--if those images are taken with a comparatively small 60mm Ha scope, what kind of results would be possible with a regular astro-size scope modified for Ha? Like say a 100mm frac? :D

John

great shots John, lovely detail mate.  the seeings been bad here with the thermals rising up the side of my house, think ive only had the one day outa 10 when its been truly good seeing, I know a bit what you go through with the heat of the desert. well done . clear skys, charl.

9 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

Wow! Those images are absolutely beautiful! Probably a dumb question, but how much can you see these filaments move? Is it a bit like the hour hand on a clock, or do they move fast?

I can't help wondering though--if those images are taken with a comparatively small 60mm Ha scope, what kind of results would be possible with a regular astro-size scope modified for Ha? Like say a 100mm frac? :D

John

Thank you, John.  Much appreciated.?

Regarding the filament, they really don't move that much.  That particular one has been basically at that same orientation for several days.  If one were to take a series of shots over time, the filament might appear to pulse around the edges, but not much.

While I do have a Lunt 60, those shots were taken with a Quark-chromosphere hanging off the end of a SkyWatcher 100ED equipped only with a UV/IR-cut filter screwed into the front of the diagonal.  The SW 100ED has a focal ratio of f/9 and the Quark has a 4.3x barlow lens permanently installed.  So the focal ratio of the rig is 9 x 4.3 = f/38.7.

On the other hand, a Lunt 60 has a focal ratio of f/8.3 and about the longest barlow that one can use with it is 2.5x, so the max usable focal ratio would be 2.5 x 8.3 = f/20.7.

Archived