Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

alacant

migration windows to linux

learning linux is like learning french……. :( being an ex bill gates follower.... but willing to learn and all the commands...…….

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Astroberry

Do you run everything from the rpi? 

Posted (edited)

mount and guide camera yes from rpi4 albeit in early stage for tracking, yet to do imaging that's the challenge......

Edited by fozzybear

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

mount and guide camera yes

Yeah. I prefer vnc-ing into something which runs everything easily rather than on-the-limit--client server. I think that's me being lazy though. 

I've witnessed many an ap rpi failure, but few if any problems with something like an i7 with a ssd running Ubuntu.

I think that with a 4Gb rpi it maybe possible to run the whole show.

Cheers 

• Like 1

me testing the waters.. if you know what i mean

2 hours ago, fozzybear said:

learning linux is like learning french……

I had a bit of a "Swiss Toni" moment there :D

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JamesF said:

I had a bit of a "Swiss Toni" moment there :D

James

You haven't got a clue what you're doing and are so stressed that when it's all over you aren't sure if it was worth the effort ...

The best action I ever did with my laptop :  erase Wintendo and install Linux, a few years ago now.  Never got to W8 or W10, and I was not planning to...😡
W7 was the best MS ever produced imo, XP second place. Both could be tuned, almost to the core of the system.

It's a few years now I use Linux Mint18.3 Xfce. It has the 'feel' of a W-XP machine.
It does everything I want I want it to do and more. And what's more everything I ever need is on board for free. If I need some other software that's not on board Linux-package I go and ask on the Linux-Mint forum. Literal minutes later you get a reply. These guys are super..!

And btw I had a great local helpdesk : Gina

Edited by Chriske
  • Like 2

I have just installed Elementary on my old MacBook Pro and have mixed feelings - it looks and runs great at times but seems very unstable with lots of hangs and crashes. 

Did a clean install last night as I may have messed a few things up the first time round - will see how it goes today. 

Edited by wormix

Its a nice problem ti have but there are so many flavours (distros) of linux to choose from  now, its only by playing with a few that you get one that suits all your needs and is reliably fully functional. For me these last few years has been MX linux but I've had a play with Zorin recently and although it has a slightly bare bones look to it, its actually pretty good.

Hi

We're running indi-ekos under kubuntu on a decent laptop. It just works.

Cheers and HTH.

• Like 1

I am running Astroberry on rpi4 4gb 

it boots, connects to my bluetooth focuser and eq6rpro, i load kstars it focuses on a star, i choose a subject it slews and platesolves and then starts guiding

have it runnng quite slick now with either a Canon or Nikon DSLR or my zwo planetary cam 

all via vnc on my rpi4 8gb in my kitchen

very happy with the whole system

• Like 1

I'm installing Raspian-Buster on Rpi4's.
These Rpi's does each one thing and one thing only.
One Rpi serves as a music streaming-device in my workshop. A second one I use exclusively to brows the net. A third one I use to transfer images from one location to another in a network at our local Observatory. I make Focograms using one Rpi, then transfer it to another Rpi to beam it onto big screen for the spectators to see and discuss.
Another serves as remote server to activate the cooling of our bell-jar(mirror coating). Very handy when we want to coat a mirror and the cooling is already set to -10°C when we arrive at the observatory.
In the past I needed (small) PC's to all do these jobs. Now I only need a few Rpi's to do just the same for far less £££$$$...😃

• Like 1