Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

migration windows to linux

alacant

6 minutes ago, wimvb said:

In linux, at least you choose one and stick with it.

Precisely.

I'm a software developer, and on my personal laptop I barely used 3 different distros in more than 10 years (except for virtual machines quick tests, and things like that).

These days ubuntu is pretty much the standard, usability is pretty good, and anyway Windows usability is highly overrated (you know how to use it because you've actually learned to use it, a total beginner wouldn't really see a big difference).

Of course, if we're talking about raspberry pi and similar boards, things can get a bit more complicated. But keep in mind that they're called *developer* boards for a reason.

All things considered, I'd say they're extremely easy to use even for non devs.

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

One of the reasons for me going the Rock64 route, is that I can run everything off the one board, & not worry too much if I lose connectivity to it (I prefer wired over Wifi anyway), and just xRDP to connect to a Rock64 desktop...

I've also come across another company using the same Rockchip processors, Firefly (https://shop.t-firefly.com/goods.php?id=65) yep, they are Chinese, but they seem to make everything, including the Pi's....

Jasem Mutlaq (INDI) runs everything off a Raspberry Pi, afaIk. A Rock64 will even allow local platesolving.

Do you have info on which linux distributions work with that firefly board?

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

All is quiet tonight so everyone is running linux on their machines happily, No on another note Julian have you purchased one of the firefly boards or are you looking as an alternative to a rock64?

regards

Andy

Note quite I am a very happy Win 10 user and have NEVER had an issue plus it can play Fallout 4 and work with Photoshop and control my DSLR fully over wifi...

Alan

3 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Note quite I am a very happy Win 10 user and have NEVER had an issue plus it can play Fallout 4 and work with Photoshop and control my DSLR fully over wifi...

Alan

Alan your are such a spoil sport come on join the fun...…… only joking

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Alan your are such a spoil sport come on join the fun...…… only joking

I do have Linux on my redundant laptop but its never going on this one, dont think it could handle the graphics card, SSD,HDD or the soundblaster card and all the RAM or the processor, not sure about the Graphics amplifier and thunderbolt ports either :icon_biggrin:

Alan

P.S. I almost forgot about the FX and Tact lighting schemes to.

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fozzybear said:

All is quiet tonight so everyone is running linux on their machines happily

We're all in the pub. The ekos scheduler is taking care of the session. Love the auto meridian flip:)

• Like 4

Chrome and Firefox are probably the most common browsers on Linux.  Chrome may not be installed by default.  Depending on the distribution you're using you may get a few other options as well -- there's a less resource-intensive browser for the RPi for instance, though it's name escapes me right now.

James

• Like 1

What a thread!

As per a poster above, I too have an old Vista lappy (Dell) and I'm almost inspired (it might even be an Inspiron!!) to have a go at getting a Linux install on it. Not even sure what flavour to opt for. I delved in to my RasPi a while ago but never really got beyond paddling ankle deep, maybe that would be the best flavour of Linux to carry on with??? I'm ok with ISO's but the second the installation requires a grain of knowledge or experience of Linux I'll be on the rocks :) 

I don't hate Windows, but I like the idea of breaking free of it's grasp (maybe in the event of nuclear war, Windows will stop working :) ) but mostly I love planetarium software and really like the look of KStars. Don't need it for productivity but potentially for scope control.

So after re-reading this thread, I might just have a go during the up and coming cloudy winter!

2 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I don't hate Windows, but I like the idea of breaking free of it's grasp (maybe in the event of nuclear war, Windows will stop working :) ) but mostly I love planetarium software and really like the look of KStars. Don't need it for productivity but potentially for scope control.

I think we should plan ahead to the time that MS try to make the operating system run on a monthly subscription :grin:

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

At one point I was really hooked on having a pi run my rig. But I tried Indi and kstars on my laptop, and had so much trouble with it.. feature wise it looks great! But I had so much trouble with both Canon DSLR hanging and QHY camera hanging all the time.. ?

19 hours ago, fozzybear said:

All is quiet tonight so everyone is running linux on their machines happily, No on another note Julian have you purchased one of the firefly boards or are you looking as an alternative to a rock64? 

regards

Andy

No, I haven't bought one, (I have a Rock64 & RockPro64) but there are a lot more companies (usually Oriental) now starting to use the Rockchip processors, which are a lot more powerful than the Broadcom processors used on the Pi3's, and they have full gigabit ethernet & USB3 etc.  Unfortunately these companies are usually let down by the shoddy support \ software they provide.

I only wish the Pi3 designers really upped their game, and not provide halfway house systems....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul M said:

What a thread!

As per a poster above, I too have an old Vista lappy (Dell) and I'm almost inspired (it might even be an Inspiron!!) to have a go at getting a Linux install on it. Not even sure what flavour to opt for. I delved in to my RasPi a while ago but never really got beyond paddling ankle deep, maybe that would be the best flavour of Linux to carry on with??? I'm ok with ISO's but the second the installation requires a grain of knowledge or experience of Linux I'll be on the rocks :) 

So after re-reading this thread, I might just have a go during the up and coming cloudy winter!

Fedora 28 (comes from Red Hat) is no any better than over flavours BUT 

1. It has a very nice installation (for USB or DVD ISO) program you can download - if you run it under Windows it will even suggest a version of Fedora to try - https://docs.pagure.org/docs-fedora/how-to-create-and-use-live-usb.html

2. It has a 64bit version for Arm8 which I will try out on a RPI 3b+

3. The 64bit version of Fedora 28 runs Indilib/Kstars well - if you follow the installation notes  for Fedora on IndiLib.org site.

4. Use Xrdp is you want to run remotely - I had problems getting any other VNC/RDP to work - most connected but should a black screen and a white cursor - tried every suggestion but none improved Gnome. Note on Xrdp dont login on Fedora and then try and connect - it requires the Fedora user to be logged out.

5. There is not a lot of rubbish installed but the "Activities" route is quite nice - IMHO.

Which ever version you use Good Luck - and ask if you get stuck - I do and I should know what I am doing ? LOL

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I only wish the Pi3 designers really upped their game, and not provide halfway house systems....

If rumours are to be believed RPI Charity is NOT going to be producing new boards and is going to concentrate on "Software" - sad if that is true - will wait and see.

Yep there are plenty of Chinese boards all with rubbish support. I always look at the Forum (if they have one) first to get an idea what they are like - its a pain.

2 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

trouble with both Canon DSLR hanging

Had the same on previous attempts but latest version (1.7.4) runs my Canon 100d no problem(nearly 100%) - check your cable the RPI to Canon is very fragile when used with a "run of the mill" cable - I changed to a Lindy Chromo and the problems went away and speed improved. ?

I am not pointing at or getting at anyone (Honest Dave ? ) but I think its fair to say,IMO, most here are looking for a small PC dedicated to the Astro control of the Mount and its auxiliaries with the least amount of wires and a reasonable speed for their camera'a(DSLR or CCD) - and most not break the bank (else I would go I7 mini PC) and  affordable to replace if the weather gets at it.  Not a Gaming machine or even Post processing PC - use a "real" beast for that ?

Perhaps I am wrong - peoples thoughts ?

Dave FYI - I use/control my Canon 100d wirelessly on a RPI3 B (shooting Native CR2 or Fits)- using INDILIB/Kstars - but true it wasn't always so - it didn't work before 1.7.4 for me anyway. ? 

www.zotac.com seems to make a good set of Mini Pc's and although made in China (LOL) they have a support telephone number - IN THE UK - Unfortunately their support board is members only (WHY!). Anyone used them !

Plus read the problems (Bios etc) but has anyone ran Linux on any of the Intel Atom or later powered boards - they might be rubbish but at £100 and that includes  2gb/32gb EMMC and Windows 10 - a lot say they run Linux mostly Ubuntu. Anyone comments ???

I might get told off for this but the ZWO ASIair does seem to be aimed at running ZWO products only (not surprised) and no EQMOD (daft omission IMHO) - Nice knowing you all i will login incognito next time LOL 

1 hour ago, stash_old said:

Had the same on previous attempts but latest version (1.7.4) runs my Canon 100d no problem(nearly 100%) - check your cable the RPI to Canon is very fragile when used with a "run of the mill" cable - I changed to a Lindy Chromo and the problems went away and speed improved. ?

Good to know! I was planning on going back and trying again at some point, must have something to do during bad weather. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjosefsen said:

I had so much trouble with both Canon DSLR hanging and QHY camera hanging

<scary>

You did report the issues and send logs to the developers...? Most issues are fixed for next day's build, or you can download and build the fix yourself from git. Or at least they'll give you code to test so that you can help them with a stable fix. Just pull the latest source and build the parts you need or use the daily updates. This is what indi really looks like:

buldindi.png.f039c8c533c66adb4a08489d75f9b1fc.png

And if you want indi to work as you expect on your setup, this is what you do I do.

</scary>

If this post hasn't scared the few windows users still with us, than I really don't know how to scare them off for good. All that download-and-build-the-fix-yourself linux nonsense!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alacant said:

If this post hasn't scared the few windows users still with us, than I really don't know how to scare them off for good. All that download-and-build-the-fix-yourself linux nonsense!

Not planning on ditching Windows just interested in sticking Linux on an old laptop to see for myself how easy / hard it is to get it working.

Having spent endless hours fighting with MS since days of DOS I can't see any harm in wasting a few more on Linux.

I did have a flirt with it when Linus and me were mere boys and my brain was sharper but only as a bit of a novelty.

Dave

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alacant said:

<scary>

You did report the issues and send logs to the developers...? Most issues are fixed for next day's build, or you can download and build the fix yourself from git. Or at least they'll give you code to test so that you can help them with a stable fix. Just pull the latest source and build the parts you need or use the daily updates. This is what indi really looks like:

buldindi.png.f039c8c533c66adb4a08489d75f9b1fc.png

And if you want indi to work as you expect on your setup, this is what you do I do.

</scary>

It doesn't really scare me no, I am a software developer, albeit on a Windows platform..

Lots of people already reported the same problems, and it was determined to be due to bad drivers. I will probably have another go at it later, when time permits. Kstars/Ekos looked really good..

• Like 1