Narrowband

migration windows to linux

alacant

25 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

The world panicked back at the end of 1999 when we went into the new millenium they thought all the computers would crash which they didn't.... 

Lol! I forgot about that, I wrote a Millennium Bug patch for my BBC Master ?

58 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The Linux community...

Alan

I wrote a bit of an explanation by way of answering this, then the browser ate it.  I'm not going to retype it for the time being, but what I will say is that there isn't really "a Linux community".  There are lots of intersecting Linux communities, each with their own desires and beliefs.  Outside the kernel (the core part that most people probably don't even realise exists) which is ultimately and absolutely controlled by Linus Torvalds, there is no-one in control.  People just took the kernel and built what they wanted for themselves around it because they could.  Sometimes it caught on.  A few times it caught on and became really big.

James

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I wrote a bit of an explanation by way of answering this, then the browser ate it.  I'm not going to retype it for the time being, but what I will say is that there isn't really "a Linux community".  There are lots of intersecting Linux communities, each with their own desires and beliefs.  Outside the kernel (the core part that most people probably don't even realise exists) which is ultimately and absolutely controlled by Linus Torvalds, there is no-one in control.  People just took the kernel and built what they wanted for themselves around it because they could.  Sometimes it caught on.  A few times it caught on and became really big.

James

the big challenge is a lot of mainstream linux users use it at the terminal level yet a lot of us mortals rely on little graphical icons to help us out. And there one gets lost when things go:BangHead:

7 minutes ago, JamesF said:

James

where you typing and nothing appeared then it did same happened to me?

1 minute ago, alacant said:

Ok then, let's go one stage further back. Has anyone managed to download and burn bootable media?

by what do you mean burn bootable media converting and ISO download to something that you can run on your PC

11 minutes ago, alacant said:

Ok then, let's go one stage further back. Has anyone managed to download and burn bootable media?

Astronomy_Linux

Download failed at 1.1GB or 43.4GB...

Restarted (resumed actually Firefox is good at recovering borked downloads)

3hrs 30 minutes left (yes my broadband is about 2.8 MB/s)

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Astronomy_Linux

Download failed at 1.1GB or 43.4GB...

Restarted (resumed actually Firefox is good at recovering borked downloads)

3hrs 30 minutes left (yes my broadband is about 2.8 MB/s)

best bet is start again as your download will be corrupt maybe use a download manager

And using the platesolver (online on this occasion) in Indi

Lots of things you can do all with a single window - this is all running on a RPI3 B (not B+) and I am using VNCviewer from a Windows Vista Laptop (over 10yrs old)

indi4.jpg

indi5.jpg

Edited by stash_old
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, stash_old said:

And using the platesolver (online on this occasion) in Indi

Lots of things you can do all with a single window - this is all running on a RPI3 B (not B+) and I am using VNCviewer from a Windows Vista Laptop (over 10yrs old)

indi4.jpg

can you not use the webserver link to bring this up as I see you are using VNC to remote into the Pi.

Just now, stash_old said:

Sorry its a clear night here so I am off to set up my main obsys now - clear skies where ever you are Ladies and Gents - are we allowed to say that these days LOL

No as it cloudy here and raining a demain (tomorrow it is )

• Sad 1

Have a look here for instructions on how to make a bootable usb stick. This will work from ubuntu and mint.

I am sure that is you run it from the usb in live version then you may have issues connecting via wifi. This is normally resolved when it is properly installed.

2 hours ago, fozzybear said:

best bet is start again as your download will be corrupt maybe use a download manager

No  way! Still 1.3 gig to go two hours after your post! I'm finishing this and if it works, it works, if it doesn't then I'll try again! ?

3 hours ago, fozzybear said:

where you typing and nothing appeared then it did same happened to me?

No, I got a notification whilst I was typing that there were more posts, so I clicked  to see them and the browser loaded a new page, losing all the stuff I'd already typed :(

James

16 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Sorry, I've not read through all of this topic (it's late), but I was thinking that since Win 10 now supports a Linux partition (can dual boot) then there's no need to completely migrate?

Louise

Yep - but a lot here wont to get away from M/S - far away. Plus you can not use W10 on a RPI3 B (not full w10) . But for esting you are 100% correct and maybe a way for some LOL

12 hours ago, fozzybear said:

what do you mean burn bootable media

Exactly. Where do we begin to explain? What knowledge can we assume? At what level are those with Windows wanting to migrate?

The more I think about it, the more impossible it becomes; unless you've had a year or so of Linux already and fought against the myriad of differnces -and won-, there's no way you're gonna get indi up.

• Like 1

I'm surprised people are struggling with this whole "bootable media" thing, but perhaps that's a reflection of just how much things have changed, in that for the most part no-one even has to think about it any more.  Once upon a time no-one would have thought twice about making bootable media.

For those that aren't aware, a .iso file is just an image of a filesystem taken at a lower level than you'd usually see.  The easiest way to think of it is a copy of a CD or DVD in a single file.  It can be used to reproduce the original filesystem anywhere else, as an exact copy.

Given an appropriate .iso image it is possible to make a DVD or USB stick that can be used to boot the computer rather than booting from the hard disk.  All that's required is a program that will copy (or "burn") the iso image to the DVD or USB stick in the right format.  It should then be possible to reboot the computer and have it load whatever OS is on the DVD/USB stick instead of what's on the hard disk.

Often the computer will be configured in the BIOS to boot from the DVD or a USB stick if a suitable one is present.  Sometimes it's necessary to interrupt the boot process and force it to boot from the device you want.

James

• Like 2

Not very much space at all. With Mint which is a version of Debian (ubuntu) the recommended disc size is 9gb but 20gb is recommended.

I would just like to add that I have been running Mint for maybe 10 years now on my main home pc. Why have I kept it? Reliability, in this whole time I have only ever had to reinstall it twice and both times it was due to user error. I know I can turn on the pc and use it.

Edited by spillage