SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter June 25th

Alright here is my second shot at Jupiter, I really wanted to capture a transit, which I did, so I'm stoked about that but I am looking to get sharper images, I don't mean sharpening in software though.

I would like to capture sharper images off the start, I realize the Neximage camera is not by any means up to par with some of the serious kit you all use here, but I need to know what is possible with 

this camera, what I can expect at the cameras limit?. 

Yes I do realize there are many variables involved including seeing and focus, I find it a real challenge to focus while watching in live view, no matter how subtle my turns of the focuser, it seems 

that I can never really tell when I achieved focus because Jupiter always seems slightly blurry due to its magnified size on the screen.  I believe this is Ganymede's shadow which seems fairly well defined

but im darn sure I could get this sharper and more detailed, I do notice that the other moons seem to be round points indicating this may be in focus, why then the seemingly out of focus image?.  Have I outgrown the camera in two images?? lol, seeing was particularly good at the eyepiece, detail visually was very good allowing for very nice visible detail on both N/S Equatorial belts.  Should I be looking for a better camera? thanks for your opinions!.

transit.jpg

great image was getting very jealous as ive been trying to image jupiter for the last week or so here in a cloudless uk with no joy at all ,then i saw where your imaging(canada) ,great shot?  how high in the sky is jupiter there?

4 hours ago, Roysten said:

Lovely shot, plenty of detail and good work on the transit! What's your setup?

Thanks, I was using my Skywatcher 150 Mak on a Vixen GP mount

and a Neximage 5 camera. I am just beginning to image after years observing,

this is my second attempt at planetary imaging, after a moon shot or two I may have done.

So needless to say I have much to learn, Registax is my headache at the moment lol.

On 27/06/2018 at 05:15, Sunshine said:

Alright here is my second shot at Jupiter, I really wanted to capture a transit, which I did, so I'm stoked about that but I am looking to get sharper images, I don't mean sharpening in software though.

I would like to capture sharper images off the start, I realize the Neximage camera is not by any means up to par with some of the serious kit you all use here, but I need to know what is possible with 

this camera, what I can expect at the cameras limit?. 

Yes I do realize there are many variables involved including seeing and focus, I find it a real challenge to focus while watching in live view, no matter how subtle my turns of the focuser, it seems 

that I can never really tell when I achieved focus because Jupiter always seems slightly blurry due to its magnified size on the screen.  I believe this is Ganymede's shadow which seems fairly well defined

but im darn sure I could get this sharper and more detailed, I do notice that the other moons seem to be round points indicating this may be in focus, why then the seemingly out of focus image?.  Have I outgrown the camera in two images?? lol, seeing was particularly good at the eyepiece, detail visually was very good allowing for very nice visible detail on both N/S Equatorial belts.  Should I be looking for a better camera? thanks for your opinions!.

Hi Sunshine,

Regarding the focusing, I would suggest that you use a Bahtinov Mask to adjust focus on a nearby star. 

Best

Nice image, I'd suggest you try it with a 2x Barlow/ focal extender and also with your lx200 and see what you get..  also if you're not already doing so get the exposure as short as you can and use region of interest to get the frame rate up before thinking about a better camera

Dave

Archived