SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which is the best Astronomy Magazine UK

• 2 weeks later...

I went and bought a whole host of subscriptions (1 year) to just about every magazine I could find. This was during my extensive information gathering period as I was getting into things. After one year I decided to cancel all of them except Astronomy Now.

Given the cost of all things astronomical (in more ways than one, excuse the pun), a one year subscription cost for 4-5 different magazines is not going be burning the hole in your pocket, and if it is, then you may want to find a different hobby 🙂

Edited by gilesco

On 20/08/2022 at 16:39, DaveS said:

However in recent years I've found AN increasingly catering to those who just want to *look* through their telescopes (What a bizarre idea) rather than those who want to actually *image*.

Sounds wonderful to me 😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gilesco said:

I went and bought a whole host of subscriptions (1 year) to just about every magazine I could find. This was during my extensive information gathering period as I was getting into things. After one year I decided to cancel all of them except Astronomy Now.

Given the cost of all things astronomical (in more ways than one, excuse the pun), a one year subscription cost for 4-5 different magazines is not going be burning the hole in your pocket, and if it is, then you may want to find a different hobby 🙂

Assuming a combined annual subscription cost of £250 p.a. for 5 different magazines, there's no way I could afford that with an ('oop north) average salary, two kids at home, bills, car etc. I'd have to give something up. I guess astronomy is only for the relatively wealthy?

Astronomy Now magazine is indeed very good, however my Sky at Night magazine subscription is a ridiculously cheap £16.50 p.a. and I'm a bit thick, so don't mind the 'dumbing down'.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Astronomy Now magazine is indeed very good, however my Sky at Night magazine subscription is a ridiculously cheap £16.50 p.a. and I'm a bit thick, so don't mind the 'dumbing down'.

Yes, very good value, especially considering the calibre of the contributors ( I'm not talking about me :D )  and there are usually some good value packages available throughout the year, 3 issues for a fiver etc.  

Now that they have demonstrated that physically reading a book or magazine is better for the brain than passively watching things, a subscription to a magazine can make for a thoughtful gift.

• Like 2

On 06/09/2022 at 13:40, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Assuming a combined annual subscription cost of £250 p.a. for 5 different magazines, there's no way I could afford that with an ('oop north) average salary, two kids at home, bills, car etc. I'd have to give something up. I guess astronomy is only for the relatively wealthy?

That is seriously cheap for a years Sky at night magazine's. 

I get it monthly from my local Smiths, I'll start keeping my eyes open for offers now 😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A minor quibble with S@N (as mentioned I subscribe along with AN) is that I had a letter featured as “letter of the month” early this year and I still haven’t received the prizes (A couple of useful books!). Not the biggest problem in the scheme of things but still…

• Sad 1

On 23/09/2022 at 14:00, Astro_Dad said:

A minor quibble with S@N (as mentioned I subscribe along with AN) is that I had a letter featured as “letter of the month” early this year and I still haven’t received the prizes (A couple of useful books!). Not the biggest problem in the scheme of things but still…

Edit 1st Oct. Enquired about the whereabouts of the prize book bundle again a couple of weeks ago (phone call with S@N customer contact line). Still haven’t got back to me (despite agreeing I’d hear back in 48 hrs) and no wiser. BUT I contacted Octopus Publishing directly as the fulfilment house and they will be sending the books directly. Great result and many thanks to them. Not sure why after nearly 8 months S@N have not been able to acknowledge this despite numerous attempts - will no doubt regain a mystery. Anyway, of minor importance really but ends this side thread to this main topic!

Thanks @westmarch for the tip earlier in this thread for the “Libby” app.  I didn’t know about that at all and it’s great. Just spent a happy hour reading a back issue of “astronomy”. I can see the app getting some use now I’ve installed it. Great. 👍

• Like 1

For some reason whenever I subscribe to any magazine, it usually ends up dropping through the door and I ignore it. That's happened with a fair few I subbed to. But if I buy one in a shop I read it.

I've picked up both S@N and Astronomy Now before, and probably will do irregularly in future. I've heard good things about S&T and Astronomy but don't know where to buy them in the UK. (And I spend too much time in front of a screen so I kind of prefer my books and magazines to be paper.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, allworlds said:

And I spend too much time in front of a screen so I kind of prefer my books and magazines to be paper.

Me too.  When Outdoor Photographer switched to digital-only during the height of the pandemic, I couldn't bring myself to do more than glance through the photos.  I let my subscription lapse.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, allworlds said:

For some reason whenever I subscribe to any magazine, it usually ends up dropping through the door and I ignore it. That's happened with a fair few I subbed to. But if I buy one in a shop I read it.

I've picked up both S@N and Astronomy Now before, and probably will do irregularly in future. I've heard good things about S&T and Astronomy but don't know where to buy them in the UK. (And I spend too much time in front of a screen so I kind of prefer my books and magazines to be paper.)

I find that S@N, Astronomy Now,  S&T and Astronomy are all available at the Derby branch of WH Smith. I've had subscriptions for all 4 at sometime or another,  I just subscribe to S@N at the moment but been picking up Astronomy Now the last few months to compare. I'll almost definitely subscribe to Astronomy Now sometime just not sure if I'll keep subscription to S@N