Howie Glatter

Considering a Howie Glatter collimation kit. Dual size laser, variable brightness cap and a Tublug.

My Newts are all 50 to 60 inches FL.

I have Cheshire tubes already but my eyesight for peeping through tiny cap holes wearing glasses won't be much use. Also a 2 inch diameter Tublug is easier to read from a distance.

But if anyone owns any HG gear, I would be interested to know how well it combines with other makes, given HG prices and FLO waiting times.   

34 minutes ago, 25585 said:

... given HG prices and FLO waiting times.   

It isn't only FLO, all retailers are affected.  

Sadly Howie Glatter passed away June 2017 so stock was understandably unavailable.

Fortunately Starlight Instruments (the Feathertouch focuser people) who manufactured many of Howie's designs announced they would continue doing so, so Glatter products will continue. But until they do we must wait or choose a different brand. 

HTH, 

Steve 

53 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Considering a Howie Glatter collimation kit. Dual size laser, variable brightness cap and a Tublug.

My Newts are all 50 to 60 inches FL.

I have Cheshire tubes already but my eyesight for peeping through tiny cap holes wearing glasses won't be much use. Also a 2 inch diameter Tublug is easier to read from a distance.

But if anyone owns any HG gear, I would be interested to know how well it combines with other makes, given HG prices and FLO waiting times.   

I have the 2" bright red laser & 2" TuBlug, they work like a dream.

The bright laser is too bright so if I was to purchase again then I would get standard brightness. I had to buy additional dimmer switch to fix my too bright issue. With standard brightness you may not need the dimmer switch.

I use a 2" Cats Eye Teletube XLS sight tube rather than a Cheshire to centre the secondary as (1) it was hard to use Cheshire wearing glasses and (2) my secondary is too large for a standard Cheshire to get it all in view easily.

HTH, Alan

4 hours ago, FLO said:

It isn't only FLO, all retailers are affected.  

Sadly Howie Glatter passed away June 2017 so stock was understandably unavailable.

Fortunately Starlight Instruments (the Feathertouch focuser people) who manufactured many of Howie's designs announced they would continue doing so, so Glatter products will continue. But until they do we must wait or choose a different brand. 

HTH, 

Steve 

I am sad to hear Howie passed away. With videos of him on YT (as for John Dobson) these people seem immortal!

Are FLO prices newly increased or the older please?

21 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Are FLO prices newly increased or the older please?

I have just spoken with my colleague. He says he has the new price-list which will take affect after Friday. Not sure when we will update our website's Glatter prices but it will likely be Friday or soon after. 

If you order now you will beat the increase but please only order off you are prepared to wait up to several weeks. Because, as you say, the waiting times are rather long. 

HTH, 

Steve 

18 hours ago, FLO said:

I have just spoken with my colleague. He says he has the new price-list which will take affect after Friday. Not sure when we will update our website's Glatter prices but it will likely be Friday or soon after. 

If you order now you will beat the increase but please only order off you are prepared to wait up to several weeks. Because, as you say, the waiting times are rather long. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Steve I don't mind waiting but could you say in advance what the new prices will be, ball park % would do.

On 26/06/2018 at 11:39, alanjgreen said:

I have the 2" bright red laser & 2" TuBlug, they work like a dream.

The bright laser is too bright so if I was to purchase again then I would get standard brightness. I had to buy additional dimmer switch to fix my too bright issue. With standard brightness you may not need the dimmer switch.

I use a 2" Cats Eye Teletube XLS sight tube rather than a Cheshire to centre the secondary as (1) it was hard to use Cheshire wearing glasses and (2) my secondary is too large for a standard Cheshire to get it all in view easily.

HTH, Alan

Dimmer would be to protect the primary switch which is said to be a bit flimsy. Hole in the Cats Eye still looks very small!

Archived