SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Third Evening with my new mate ZWO

Patbloke

Thanks for the previous advice folks...

So moving on from my first two outings with the ZWO i decided to have a go at Jupiter (see attached) Now before you comment I realise that this is a pretty poor image in lots of ways, however, the purpose of showing it, is that hopefully I'll be able to put another side by side in a fews years showing some progress and understanding regarding imaging?

I downloaded several imaging programs yesterday following advice for which I'm grateful. Now some programs look a lot more complicated than others so I ended up using Sharpcam and Registrax3 for my image... I will look at the others when I have more time I promise...

Today, I'm reflecting on yet more new terminology I hear of... I think I get Gain and Exposure, even darks I understand... But wavelets, Align points and load flatfield are new terms that sound like the devils work to me...

I must just reiterate that the purpose of my ZWO purchase was to do live laptop based observation, or Electronically Assisted Astronomy, but I am really keen to use the instrument to part of it's full potential, hence my venture into technically challenging world ?

One thing I did learn of a YouTube clip yesterday was to change the image size before capturing which has resulted in me actually being able to see a finished image which at least can be recognised as Jupiter!

Here's an additional Question - Most people recommend Fast scopes for imaging... I see a fair few people use 130, 150 Newts... Skywatcher do a new pds Newt model which they state has the secondary mirror slightly closer to the primary which helps Astrophotography. Why wouldn't (other than cost) would you buy the 200 version? this would be more bang for ya buck yes/No? 

It's a big post, but it's a huge subject........

P.S Where's the Astro imaging school??

Jupiter SGL.jpg

I'm going to capture some more video to work on tonight (hopefully?) I also have a tiny list of doubles and a triple to find... 

Question - So I get two options with the capture software (whichever one I use)... Still frames or Video?

Why take stills? Is there any particular advantage to doing so? They are stacked both the same yeah so I will get more frames in video?  Only thing I can think is you can adjust the length of exposure with stills?

Archived