Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Hermit

Tenerife Advice

Hi

Been a while since I've been on here.

I'm off to Tenerife (staying in Costa Adeje) at the end of July/earlyAugust, and am very excited about the prospect of some widefield Milky Way imaging.

I realise I'll need to get away from the light pollution of the main resorts in the south. I've started looking at organised trips up to the observatories, which I'd be interested in but I'm not sure how much 'free time' I'd have to do some imaging.  The imaging is more important, I think.

I realise that hiring a car and driving up into the mountains is an option but Mrs Hermit is rather concerned about that option...

I'm not sure how mobile I'll be at that point for any trekking as I'm recovering from an operation over the next few weeks.

Can anyone give me any tips, advice, recommendations etc please?

Many thanks, Dave

• Like 1

I’m visiting this summer and am using this hotel (who also arrange tours)

https://hotelcasazaguan.com/

Im staying in Costa Adeje with my family but am hiring a car to drive to the Casa zaguan hotel in the evening. I’ve also booked a cheap room in the casa zaguan so that if it gets late I can sleep there and drive back to Costa Adeje in the morning.

Now im not sure how this will work out but hopefully it gives you some possibilities?

Edited by GavStar

+1 for @Gavstar's recommendation, they do pick-ups from the Adeje area for astro trips.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, sounds great.  I'll get in touch with them. 

12 hours ago, Hermit said:

Can anyone give me any tips, advice, recommendations etc please?

Yes- make sure you haven't booked during a full moon!

• Haha 1

I drove from Puerto de la Cruz up over the top to Los Gigantes. … almost all of it in second gear in an underpowered 1.6l Beetle!  Apparently the views were stunning, I saw only tarmac.  It might be easier at night as you'd get advance warning of loons coming the other way via their headlights, so you can effectively see around corners, and the bikers will probably be elsewhere.

• Like 2

Yeah, you gotta get above the Marine Layer. The humid, polluted layer of air at sea level that goes nowhere much of the time. You can really see it on arrival and departure on the plane. 

When it's clear at sea level it's beautiful but still got the lights to kill the sky.  And it is bright in the southern conurbation of Adeje, Las Am and Cristianos!

Tenerife is my favorite destination, usually Las Americas, but since becoming foster carers 2 years ago things have changed. Anyway, we've got a sneaky 10 days booked for September, just the 2 of us!

Just like old times, can't wait!! 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2018 at 20:47, laser_jock99 said:

Yes- make sure you haven't booked during a full moon!

D'oh! I should be ok towards the end of the holiday.

Booked on their sunset and stars trip on 3rd August, Moon rises at 1.07am on the 4th so works out with the times of the trip.  Buzzing! ???

• Like 2

Remember that at a guess you're be at 27 degrees,things will be far higher up in the south and lower in the north..so that moon may rise earlier than in the uk

Hire a car and drive up to the parking area near the Rocks of Garcia. If you take the longer route it's an easy drive. Remember it will be much cooler up there even on a summers evening so go prepared!

Have fun! There are several pull off spots if you don't want to go all the way up.

I agree with Linton. Take the longer route, which passes not too far from Los Gigantes and follow the signs up to Teide.
It's really easy driving, even in the dark, with none of the hairpin bends going via Vilaflore.
Steve will look after you if you pop into https://hotelcasazaguan.com.

Dave

Thanks guys, only just seen these posts.  Just got back, the skies were awesome, here's an unprocessed image ??

DSC_0231.JPG

• Like 4

The guys at Casa Zaguan did a great job that night, would definitely recommend. Pick up from my hotel, meal at Casa Zaguan, sunset at 7000ft, up to the caldera to watch the Milky Way appear, back to the roof terrace at Casa Zaguan with the big dob then dropped off back at my hotel after midnight.  Great night.

• Like 2

great thread for recommendations, I'm thinking about a trip next year too so this is very useful thanks. 

Thats a great image Dave, looking forward to seeing more from your trip

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sleepy Kiki, here are some more pics from the evening. Not processed properly yet but you get the jist. 

FB_IMG_1533588823103.jpg

FB_IMG_1533588833151.jpg

FB_IMG_1533589922804.jpg

FB_IMG_1533590403471.jpg

• Like 5

Great trip!  I went with an ED80 a few years back and rented a car.  We also used it to visit friends on the island.  The excursion you had sounds handy!

• Like 1