Walking on the Moon

New Dob Gets Raised Even Higher

I've had the new 10" Bresser Messier ("BM10") out over recent evenings, and built a 5" riser/platform for it, but was feeling that it was still a tad low.  So - again out of odd bits of wood, and therefore no cost - I secured four stout legs to that base taking it to 12.5", and tried it out last night.

What a difference!  Viewing was easy across the range of altitudes, and using the Rigel became quite comfortable.

It was a good idea to take the RACI finder off the 8SE and put it on the BM10.  I was easily able to get to a region with the Rigel, then hop around using the 5deg field of the RACI.

I'm still getting acquainted with it really, so serious observation will follow shortly - especially when the Moon wanes and the transparency improves.  Nevertheless, I did see some very sharp detail around the nearly-full Moon's terminator.  The image was quite stable up to x127, and became very sharp indeed as Luna grew brighter (and not too bright).

Jupiter again showed more detail in his belts, although this diminished by x159.  Using Stellarium (180deg inverted) is a great help for identification, and some comfortable rotation of the head matches that with the EP view.

Vega - Double Double also in RACI view - moved 'scope to see DD better - just split at x159 - transparency and seeing were against a cleaner split.  Zeta 1,2 Lyr - easy, clear split - on to the Delta Twins region in Lyra.

All in all, I have found this 'scope easy to aim, move around, and track with.  The wobble is more noticeable than with other 'scopes, but soon settles.  Size? - just manageable by one person.  Collimation? - once done, it's a doddle.  And the circular base of the 'scope allows for careful storage of several EPs, which others do not offer.  The experience is quite different to that with the frac and 8SE, but in a decidedly good way!  I eagerly await darker, clearer skies to check out various clusters and those elusive fuzzies.

Doug.

P1060367.JPG

P1060368.JPG

P1060369.JPG

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 5

Nice work Doug. Just be careful putting things on pedastals mate, you know what they say? Hehe! I’m in your neck of the woods today for work. Nice and sunny on this side of the Pennines! Hope for more clear skies whilst the high pressure last above us!  :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work Doug. Just be careful putting things on pedastals mate, you know what they say? Hehe! I’m in your neck of the woods today for work. Nice and sunny on this side of the Pennines! Hope for more clear skies whilst the high pressure last above us!  :) 

Thanks Gus - Yes, I'll be careful!  The stand is very robust, and not too high.  If I "bumped" the 'scope, it'd take some knock to topple over!

Enjoy your visit to Lancashire/Merseyside - it's good over this side!  ?

Doug.

6 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

The wobble is more noticeable than with other 'scopes, but soon settles

Is the wobble the same with the scope sat on the ground as on your pedestal? 

Yep as above just wondering if you need something solid as a base Doug, there could be a little vibration resting on that plinth. Other option would be to use an adjustable observers chair. 

After you last post I thought you might need to raise that a little more.  Looks good too.  And some nice dark nights on their way....slowly. I look forward to more reports..

Edited by mark81

3 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Yep as above just wondering if you need something solid as a base Doug, there could be a little vibration resting on that plinth. Other option would be to use an adjustable observers chair. 

Thanks Iain.  I reckon the stand is really hefty and stable, and makes observing very easy.  I did originally try a stool, but it only worked at low elevations.  Having always observed from a standing position, I'm happy to continue, especially as it is now so comfortable.  As for the wobble, I reckon that is inherent in such a long tube with the way it rests on the rocker box.  

Doug.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mark81 said:

After you last post I thought you might need to raise that a little more.  Looks good too.  And some nice dark nights on their way....slowly. I look forward to more reports..

Thanks Mark.  Yes, I'm very happy with the set-up now.  Bring on those darker nights!

D.

• Like 1

Doug when I had a 10" Dob I bought 4 adjustable legs from B and Q to get extra height. They worked quite well. My current 12" Dob can be too low on occasions so I am thinking about different arrangements. Thanks for your thread to give me additional ideas.

49 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Doug when I had a 10" Dob I bought 4 adjustable legs from B and Q to get extra height. They worked quite well. My current 12" Dob can be too low on occasions so I am thinking about different arrangements. Thanks for your thread to give me additional ideas.

Thanks Mark.  I deliberately made it heavy and solid - nothing flimsy.  And I figured about 12" or so was the most I wanted to go, and I could saw some off if necessary.  As it happens, I hit the spot with the latest extension.  Dob ownership is certainly a different dimension, and benefits from DIY skills.  Love it!

Doug.