Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

Gfamily

North West Astronomy Festival 7th July 2018

In case anyone has missed it, we're coming close to the time for the 2018 North West Astronomy Festival, which takes place in Runcorn, Cheshire on 7th July 2018. 

This year it's a one-day event, but with leading speakers, Will Gator, Damian Peach and Chris Lintott

http://nwastrofest.co.uk/welcome-to-festival-18/

One of the great features is the number of Local Astronomical Societies from the NW that will be in attendance, so come along and get involved. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

I wish we had such events down here.

I was going to suggest this as being relatively local to you...

https://starstuff.com.au/

but then checked  - Australia is BIG!

Edited by Gfamily

8 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

I was going to suggest this as being relatively local to you...

https://starstuff.com.au/

but then checked  - Australia is BIG!

Yeah I know about this one.... thats around 1000Km from me... so yeah BIG.. Although I'd go if I had the weekend off work.

I will be there. Macclesfield AS have there usual stand, and I hope to be outside showing interested parties. Our Star with my PST.

• Like 2

I'll be on the Mid Cheshire club stand - unless I'm at one of the talks. 

Owen

On 25/06/2018 at 21:50, MarsG76 said:

I wish we had such events down here.

Start one of your own?    ?

4 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Start one of your own?    ?

Hmm. interesting thought.

• Thanks 1

Are you a member of Sydney City Skywatchers? I visited Sydney many years ago, when SCS was still the New South Wales branch of the British Astronomical Association. I would have thought that the seed of a wider regional meeting could probably be planted with those chaps.

Well, it was a great event - despite being contracted to just 1 day, by offering 'small talks' in one of the meeting rooms as well as the 'guest lectures' in the main auditorium, there was even more than we've had over two days previously.

It was disappointing that Damian Peach was unwell and not able to give his talk, but Dr Julian Onions of University of Nottingham gave us an excellent talk on 'Aperture'.

Otherwise we had auditorium talks by Will Gator and Chris Lintott , and a series of talks by members of local Astronomy Societies. Clubs were also represented in the Main Hall, along with vendors, and a live broadcast on AstroRadio.earth.

The 'Ask an Astronomer' Q&A session was memorable - you had to be there.

AstroCymru were brilliant at organising family friendly events for children. 

For once, we had almost uninterrupted sunshine during the day, so the two Solar Scopes were well used. Thanks to Gary Palmer for giving his time to allow us to experience the views. 

I'll post a heads-up for next year's of course

• Like 3