Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Recommended Posts

Finished preparing my new solar shield... 

Very happy with the result and did consider patenting it but will allow free use of the idea... ?

Joking aside, it works out at less than £10 and I could make 3 with the bits I bought to do it. 

One foil em emergency blanket, similar size piece of black cotton cloth, duct tape and job done. Second one in progress to allow for complete coverage of lower legs as I had an ankle bare ?

Just need to add Velcro down the front edge to seal closed around the scope and it’ll be done. 

 

85879C6E-B098-4757-97B2-711C908CE7DB.jpeg

F34DBD5A-685D-4C68-9142-7919575ABDD2.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brilliant idea.

And you could use it on winters nights as well, but to keep warm.

At night, with random reflections from the foil, I reckon the whole thing would be invisible.

Just an apparently unattended scope silently traversing the sky.?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And the reflective material will keep you nice and cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, lenscap said:

Brilliant idea.

And you could use it on winters nights as well, but to keep warm.

At night, with random reflections from the foil, I reckon the whole thing would be invisible.

Just an apparently unattended scope silently traversing the sky.?

Maybe I could label as a stealth shield ?

Add in a dew heater or two and maybe a coolant version as Mars suggests ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

And the reflective material will keep you nice and cool.

It does actually work well though it was still hot in the 27c I suffered today ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

Maybe I could label as a stealth shield ?

Well it certainly is a "Cloaking Device" ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

It does actually work well though it was still hot in the 27c I suffered today ?

27c is not suffering, that's air conditioned levels ?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

27c is not suffering, that's air conditioned levels ?

In the UK 27 Celsius is bordering on a National Emergency?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lenscap said:

In the UK 27 Celsius is bordering on a National Emergency?

You guys must have a different Celsius scale to us.. here 33-35 is comfy, 40 starts to get warm, 45 is emergency levels...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lenscap said:

In the UK 27 Celsius is bordering on a National Emergency?

Exactly... almost time for the water company to announce standpipes ? summer of 76 scenario ☀️?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

You guys must have a different Celsius scale to us.. here 33-35 is comfy, 40 starts to get warm, 45 is emergency levels...

 

Just noted your location - understand now, my cousin lives near Melbourne and has told me the tales of koalas and huge trees with heat to melt the sole of the shoes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

Just noted your location - understand now, my cousin lives near Melbourne and has told me the tales of koalas and huge trees with heat to melt the sole of the shoes...

Definitely happens.. although Melbourne is in the more timid climate area... further north, there are areas that frequently nudge the 50c levels.

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t cope with anything beyond low to mid 30C and that has to be near to a bar on holiday. I don’t know how you can manage such high temps - what about night time temps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This will sound messed up, but it's too hot here to do any kind of solar observing. The temperature here since Sat has gone from 25C up to 30C today. The heat wave is expected to last til Monday and who knows after that.

Ireland, at the best of times in summer might get 22-23C. We just ain't designed for the heat. Hottest temp I've experienced was 40C, but that was in the Sahara. It's meant to be hot. I could feel my skin cooking. 

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally understand that comment - my half Irish ☘️ dna really doesn’t like this weather....

Next up will be the air con version ?

I’ve been managing mini sessions - just in shorts and fully screened with the solar shield - works for about 15 mins then need to dash into the shade to recover for a while ☀️

Ironic - had some great viewing this week and it’s been incredibly hot and a full moon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/06/2018 at 07:21, Tonynexevo925 said:

I can’t cope with anything beyond low to mid 30C and that has to be near to a bar on holiday. I don’t know how you can manage such high temps - what about night time temps?

We must have got used to it, it really isn't that bad.

At night temperatures can get to mid-high 20s, that can get a bit uncomfortable, but that what air conditioners are for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

25C up to 30C today. The heat wave

30C.. "heat wave"?? ha ha.. you cracked my up... HAHA

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

my half Irish ☘️ dna really doesn’t like this weather....

Nothing a nice cold beverage can't fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

We must have got used to it, it really isn't that bad.

At night temperatures can get to mid-high 20s, that can get a bit uncomfortable, but that what air conditioners are for.

 

I suppose we all get used to the conditions we live in... just sounds so hot compared to the U.K.  we’re gritting the roads because they are melting ?

A few cm of snow and we shut down, a few hot days and a few weeks with no rain and we’re ready for hosepipe bans - not very good at handling anything outside our fairly narrow comfort zone ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

not very good at handling anything outside our fairly narrow comfort zone

I'd say.... but we all are adaptable to our situation.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.