Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar viewing protection

Tonynexevo925

Finished preparing my new solar shield... 

Very happy with the result and did consider patenting it but will allow free use of the idea... ?

Joking aside, it works out at less than £10 and I could make 3 with the bits I bought to do it. 

One foil em emergency blanket, similar size piece of black cotton cloth, duct tape and job done. Second one in progress to allow for complete coverage of lower legs as I had an ankle bare ?

Just need to add Velcro down the front edge to seal closed around the scope and it’ll be done. 

85879C6E-B098-4757-97B2-711C908CE7DB.jpeg

F34DBD5A-685D-4C68-9142-7919575ABDD2.jpeg

Brilliant idea.

And you could use it on winters nights as well, but to keep warm.

At night, with random reflections from the foil, I reckon the whole thing would be invisible.

Just an apparently unattended scope silently traversing the sky.?

49 minutes ago, lenscap said:

Brilliant idea.

And you could use it on winters nights as well, but to keep warm.

At night, with random reflections from the foil, I reckon the whole thing would be invisible.

Just an apparently unattended scope silently traversing the sky.?

Maybe I could label as a stealth shield ?

Add in a dew heater or two and maybe a coolant version as Mars suggests ???

Just now, lenscap said:

In the UK 27 Celsius is bordering on a National Emergency?

You guys must have a different Celsius scale to us.. here 33-35 is comfy, 40 starts to get warm, 45 is emergency levels...

2 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

You guys must have a different Celsius scale to us.. here 33-35 is comfy, 40 starts to get warm, 45 is emergency levels...

Just noted your location - understand now, my cousin lives near Melbourne and has told me the tales of koalas and huge trees with heat to melt the sole of the shoes...

2 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

Just noted your location - understand now, my cousin lives near Melbourne and has told me the tales of koalas and huge trees with heat to melt the sole of the shoes...

Definitely happens.. although Melbourne is in the more timid climate area... further north, there are areas that frequently nudge the 50c levels.

This will sound messed up, but it's too hot here to do any kind of solar observing. The temperature here since Sat has gone from 25C up to 30C today. The heat wave is expected to last til Monday and who knows after that.

Ireland, at the best of times in summer might get 22-23C. We just ain't designed for the heat. Hottest temp I've experienced was 40C, but that was in the Sahara. It's meant to be hot. I could feel my skin cooking. 

Totally understand that comment - my half Irish ☘️ dna really doesn’t like this weather....

Next up will be the air con version ?

I’ve been managing mini sessions - just in shorts and fully screened with the solar shield - works for about 15 mins then need to dash into the shade to recover for a while ☀️

Ironic - had some great viewing this week and it’s been incredibly hot and a full moon...

On 26/06/2018 at 07:21, Tonynexevo925 said:

I can’t cope with anything beyond low to mid 30C and that has to be near to a bar on holiday. I don’t know how you can manage such high temps - what about night time temps?

We must have got used to it, it really isn't that bad.

At night temperatures can get to mid-high 20s, that can get a bit uncomfortable, but that what air conditioners are for.

5 minutes ago, MarsG76 said:

We must have got used to it, it really isn't that bad.

At night temperatures can get to mid-high 20s, that can get a bit uncomfortable, but that what air conditioners are for.

I suppose we all get used to the conditions we live in... just sounds so hot compared to the U.K.  we’re gritting the roads because they are melting ?

A few cm of snow and we shut down, a few hot days and a few weeks with no rain and we’re ready for hosepipe bans - not very good at handling anything outside our fairly narrow comfort zone ? 

Archived