Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How special is this year's mars opposition?

pipnina

I've heard that this year mars will be at its closest since 2003, and will reach a 24 arcsecond diameter (half the size of jupiter at opposition). However it seems it will also be rather low down, and at its highest rather early in the morning. Not to mention the dust storm which I've seen people complaining about here already.

Back when I first started getting into this hobby (early 2015 I think), with my 130m on an EQ2 I remember having a conversation about mars which was in the sky at that time. And the conversation wound up ending along the lines of "It's 3 years away, I've got some time to get my kit in order!" I have gone from a 5" to a 10", and have a nice 10mm eyepiece for planets, but now I wonder if it's worth finishing off with a 2x barlow? The 10mm and a barlow would land me at 1.04mm exit pupil, 240x magnification. Might be pushing it for UK seeing but would give a good perspective on mars if steady (and the dob mount can be persuaded to move smoothly).

On a related note, has anyone gotten some good views of the red planet by eye this month? Keen to hear.

Cheers.

Hi Pipnina, I think 240x will be pushing it and to purchase something that in theory would produce this would be waste of time. I should think somewhere in the region of 150 to 200x would be feasible with good skies, a 7mm ep would give you 171x, splittinmg the difference and a safer bet.  No, I have not seen Mars by eye this month, but saw it three months ago and looking very red, the best I have ever seen it. 

It is special in that Mars it at its closest for some time and will therefore present a good sized disc. However, as you note, it’s also in a position on the ecliptic which means it’s lower in altitude than ideal. This means that it is more susceptible to atmospheric conditions and seeing is more likely to be a problem. Having said that there have been and will be times when conditions are favourable. I’ve already had some some very clear views with the southern polar cap and dark features being clearly  visible.

As far as the dust storm goes it’s difficult to say at the moment. Last time I observed the planet detail was less clear but this could have been down to conditions. 

With magnification as usual more is not necessarily best. It all depends on the seeing. I’ve rarely gone beyond 180x recently and that was in good seeing.

It’s true that around 3 or 4am is best at the moment and I’m fortunate in being retired and am happy to get up at that time - but it will be at its best earlier than that very soon.

Naked eye it is just stunning - very bright, steady - and red!

Good  luck! 

Archived