Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep15_banner.thumb.jpg.34f8495864951c81ec35e285b4d7b2e0.jpg

So here's a thing - it seems to me that astronomy is one of those not very straight forward hobbies. 

Last night I though it would just be the same as Friday night - set up, look at the moon take some pictures! Simples...

Aw but not to be!! I'm good at setting up in the daylight, get my mount bang level (checked with electronic level app on phone...) Get it facing north with my beautiful brass compass and enter coordinates back to Kidderminster from Thame, then you would think just observe... 

Nah! Moon very wobbly with tinges of green on the edges... Barlowed it and got some superb views of Gassendi and the Hippalus Rilles albeit a bit wobbly... Then the tree came so I thought check out Jupiter the other side of the tree with the camera. Once again folks it appears I have a great deal of Astro luck! Couldn't find Jupes at first, camera in and out of diagonal, EP in and out of diagonal... Shall I just go to bed? 

Then just before my capitulation - Boom she appears as a large white circle! Mmm something to work on I thought... Messed with the Gain and Exposure, what's Gain mean? Now it's a smaller white ball no moons... Then after another stop and start - Boom!! a ball with bands on... Hello Jupiter my old friend I whisper like a sniper lining up a kill! 

Brainwave, blue filter! in she goes and Boom again deffo a Jupiter view (although very wobbly) Quick action - click the 'take a picture or million' button... Next quick, take a video or million button.

Amazing here I am with a table chair laptop wonderful AVX mount and my Starwave 102 doing EAA.... 

It's not that clear and it looks like a black spot just above the main band... Er it couldn't be could it? Could it be? Not another transit surely.... Run indoors get the phone check my Jupiter moons app and Bingo is Io, only Io transiting Jupiter... Wonderful how lucky am I?

I call my girlfriend down out of bed, look look she's sat at the table looking and and "can you get the image any sharper? Oh that's funny I thought the band's go horizontally".. a quick turn of the camera in the diagonal and she's happy! Flipping heck is it me how can she not be doing the I've just bagged a great target dance?? 

Amazing, another example for me of when things don't go perfect at the beginning, decide it's better to just give up and then a little while later having a wonderful moment.

This hobby never lets me down! 

So today the result of all that is I have a million pictures (exaggerate a bit there) and not a clue what do so with em apart from maybe trying something I heard of called deep sky stacker... Should be interesting later. 

What a fun night in the end... never give up hang in there the joys are just a moment away..... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I enjoyed the write up, astronomy has those things when nothing seems to work and another day everything works. 

As for the pictures you can use autostakkert2  to stack and later use registax to process.  Deep sky stacker is used for dso stacking. I'm afk right now but can link you to it later. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patbloke said:

So here's a thing - it seems to me that astronomy is one of those not very straight forward hobbies. 

Couldn't agree more, 17 years into owning my telescope, and nothing has changed for me!   Two steps forward one step back.  But over the years I've made some lovely images.   Keep going, keep learning and keeping enjoying, whether others get excited or not.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By han59
      Probably an old discussion but lets review it with some measurements:

The dark noise should only have a small influence on the total noise of the final image. Most noise is generated by the sky background. Under good conditions SQM = 20.4, I measure using my ASI1600MM-Cool the following noise (standard deviation) in a dark and in a light for an area where no stars are visible (local measurement using ASTAP):

Dark 1 x 200sec, σ = 15 (range 0..65535)
      Light 1 x 200sec, σ = 130

The noise in the dark is roughly 12% of the light, which seems acceptable to me. That would argue for about the same amount of darks as lights. With a worse SQM, you can probably do 2.5 times less darks for each (magnitude) step. So under light polluted sky you can do with much less darks than lights.
      If you are going to photograph with the H-alpha filter, it will be super dark. In a single H-alpha (7nm) light I measure a σ = 25r. Of these, 15 are self-noise and 10 of the incoming light. In good conditions and using an H-alpha filter, this is an argument to make much more darks than lights

Above for a monochrome camera. To measure with an OSC (color) sensor I think it is better to first split the 4 Bayer pixels into 4 files and then measure them separately.

Some measurements with my ASI1600MM-Cool, monochrome:
      DARKS noise:
      1 x 200 seconds, σ = 16
      1 x 200 seconds - master dark, σ = 15
      4 x 200 seconds combined - master dark, σ = 6.8    This is approximately 15 / square root (4)
      41 x 200 seconds combined, σ = 5
      90 x 200 seconds combined, σ = 3.8   This is a limit value that arises mainly from unevenness of the pixels. The noise will be smaller, approximately 15 / square root (90) is 1.6

STACKED LIGHTS noise (lights corrected with darks and flats):
      11x200 seconds, σ = 70   (measured at a star free area, standard deviation in 0..65535 range, sky conditions could have been different)
      18x200 seconds, σ = 36
      18x200 seconds, σ = 40
      40x200 seconds, σ = 26
      42x200 seconds, σ = 30
      44x200 seconds, σ = 25
      58x200 seconds, σ = 20
      95x200 seconds, σ = 16

Apparently the light noise decreases considerably while stacking more lights and I reach σ values up to 16 a 20. You do not want to stack these images with a single dark having a σ = 15. If you want to keep the dark noise added below 10% of σ = 16 then you need 100 darks because they give: 15 / square root (100) = 1.5 noise.

So this confirms for a good suburban site (SQM=20.4) you will need about the same amount (or more) darks then lights. For a more light polluted area you can take less darks since the noise from the skybackground will be abundant. For H-alpha work you better take more darks then lights.
      Han
    • By ntaylorblanchard
      Note on this issue: A suggestion from another forum seems to have found the problem but I'm not sure. It was suggested that after 3 hours my power tank was drained enough to inhibit the operation of the cooler. I attached my second (smaller) power tank and it seems to be working now. Of course the camera sat for awhile before I was given the idea that power was the issue and decided to try a test with a new power source.  If anyone has any additional information or suggestion for me they would be appreciated.  Original issue is below:

HELP PLEASE! ASI294 MC Pro Stopped cooling Also have an image saving issue. I'll try to give as much detail as I can:
      Using APT with an ASI294 MC Pro - CAMERA IS NEW
      Cooler is powered by a Celestron Powertank 17 fully charged connected using an Orion DC cable w/Auto Lighter Plug
      Connecting via ASCOM ASI Camera 1 setting
      Properties are
      Image Type RAW 16
      Bayer RGGB
      Unity Gain
      Gain 120
      Offset 30
      USB limit 40
      The camera is plugged directly into the laptop NOT a USB hub. I believe all my laptops USB ports are USB 2.0
      No other software (such as PHD2) was running.
      No other cameras attached.

Trying to create a dark library.
      Cooling to -5C from room temp of around 25-30C
      Camera and cooler were working fine for a couple of hours but I then ran into a snag:

I got a time-out message from APT saying "Still waiting image from the camera - 30s" also -
      The cooling stopped working. (Red light indicating power is still on. Fan is still spinning.)
      I'm also noticing that the laptop is making the chime noise it makes when something is unplugged or plugged in.

I tried connecting to the camera just using APT's ZWO camera setting with the same results.
      Black level and USB speed settings were left blank.

Disconnecting and reconnecting everything seems to fix the problem only for a minute then I'm right back into the same problem. Changing USB ports does not help.

I tried using ZWO's "ASI Studio" and I did not seem to have any problems capturing images but the cooler didn't seem to be working. (Power was = 100%)
      I tried using Sharpcap and did not seem to be able to do anything but I'm very unfamiliar with that software.

I went back to APT and tried doing 10 lights exposures of 30 sec each with no power to the cooler. Those went ok. I then connected the cooler. The cooler cooled the camera down to 23.2C then stopped.
      Cooling Aid settings are
      Target -5
      Step 5
      Pause 5
      Timeout 120 (also tried timeout 300)
      Disconnected the cooler and ran another set of 10 30 sec light subs. These went ok. Tried set of 10 10 sec darks without cooler. This also went ok.
      I tried reinstalling the ASCOM drivers from the ASI site, restarted the laptop, restarted APT. Camera cooled from around 30C to 25.3C then stopped cooling (Red light indicating power is still on. Fan is still spinning.) I again started hearing the plugged/unplugged chimes from the laptop.
      So right now this seems to be some issue with the cooling. Is the camera defective?
      While I'm not computer illiterate, I'm not highly technical. I'd appreciate any help or advice but please put it into simple straightforward terms.
    • By Dave Baxter
      Just wondering what other people have experienced with this camera.  I'm using a MacBook Pro, and want to use this camera with my Celestron 8SE.  Primarily interested in the planets and the moon, but some deep sky images would be great if it's up to it.  

It seems to be out of stock every where, but at $249 is about what I can afford to spend (no income at the moment).  All of the research I've been able to do on this camera indicates it should work well with my set up.
      I'm just curious if you have had any issues or problems.  Thanks in advance!
    • By barkingsteve
      130pds on the evo mount with the 294mc pro, Baader mpcc and AA tri-band, All images are 30 x 15 seconds captured in sharpcap pro with master dark and flat. at -10c. Saved as viewed and resized to 1920 with some light level adjusting in photoshop.
      Andromeda

Bubble

Cocoon  - close to zenith, field rotation hit this hard  

Crescent

Double Cluster

Eastern Veil

Heart

Iris

Dumbbell

Pinwheel

Soul

• By Ronan Hunt
      Hi All,
      Im looking for preloved zwo asi 183mm Pro or 1600mm Pro and a zwo 8x1.25 inch EFW. Let me know if you have anything suitable. 

Many Thanks,
      Ronan 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.