Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mutterings about Jupiter, Venus and Venus.

I have been observing both Venus and Jupiter this evening using my 120 ed refractor. Explore Scientific  and Volcano top orthoscopic eyepieces. 

Jupiter was coming in and out of really good views. Venus for some reason lately has been showing quite a lot of CA compared to other times when viewing. This is with the same equipment. Could it be my eyes changing for what ever reason? 

I normally mount the 120 ed on a manual alt/az mount. But I am now considering getting a goto driven mount for viewing comfort. All those jiggles and falling out of the field of view. I am convienced that this all contributes to poorer observing resolution. Not sure which mount would suit a 120ed for just visual observing? 

As an aside, I have seen two very nice stars coles to each other when viewing Jupiter. They are to the north west of Jupiter. Anyone know what their names are? I don't think that they are a real double star, but they are striking to look at. 

It is now 12.08 and now observing Saturn. While the seeing is variable, Saturn is showing clear and sharp views at times. The Cassini Division can been see aswell as a band on Saturn's disc. 

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

With Venus CA.. try observing Venus a bit earlier when the sky is brighter.... The contrast of Venus brilliance against a dark or black sky emphasizes the CA in the EP.

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. 

1 hour ago, Saganite said:

That is what I am seeing Martin at 146 x, on Saturn. I tried 190x but no good.

I always think that Saturn looks quite dim to the naked eye. But rewards you when viewing through the telescope with a rich bright yellow. Lovely planet to view

1 minute ago, Grumpy Martian said:

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. 

You're welcome... I find that looking at Venus during a brighter sky time not only stops color fringing, but makes it more comfortable to view Venus and occasionally I spot some shading in the clouds... at Maximum contrast, any shading is blown away by the brilliant glare of Venus.

Archived