Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transit of Io

Saganite

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

The shadow transit is quite a sight - watching now with the Tak FS102. The atmosphere is very stable this evening.

It is indeed Jeremy. Rather annoyingly I have lost the transit for the time being while  it passes the apex of my neighbour's house, so I am on the Moon for a while.:grin:

2 minutes ago, John said:

Very nice here with the Tak FC-100DL. Jumping between Jupiter, the Moon and Saturn at the moment  - not good for the concentration but fun :smiley:

Another 40 minutes or so before I get Saturn . The same neighbour, has a large Silver Birch, and as my 5" is on a fixed pier , I have to be patient.

I'm in Swanage and can just see Io appearing now and casting a shadow on Jupiter. Have been viewing for some time now and wondered where that pesky fourth moon was hiding. Lol. 

Saturn finally appeared at 23.50, and so the last hour was spent observing the beauty of  this planet. The Cassini Division was sharp and almost complete,  but I was able to see just the central dark band on the planet. The presence of the Moon meant that I could make out Titan and Rhea only.

Nice one!

Caught '2nd' contact of Io's shadow on the limb of Jupiter, and watched it progress.  I couldn't pick out Io against the disc though! Seeing was ok, but not very good for me.  Observing at 200x and 250x in my 15", 330x was too much last night.  Some nice festoons on show too :)

The moon was stunning too last night - went for a wander around.

I watched it with my little ED80 positioned in the road so I missed the neighbours chimney stack! Very sharp shadow, but the moments of good seeing were few and far between, and with Saturn, no chance - like looking through a swimming pool during an earthquake (well, imagine).

Chris

56 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

I watched it with my little ED80 positioned in the road so I missed the neighbours chimney stack! Very sharp shadow, but the moments of good seeing were few and far between, and with Saturn, no chance - like looking through a swimming pool during an earthquake (well, imagine).

Chris

That’s exactly like my views when targets move over next doors rooftops - the difference in views over the fields vs houses / gardens is shocking in summer. 

24 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

That’s exactly like my views when targets move over next doors rooftops - the difference in views over the fields vs houses / gardens is shocking in summer. 

Yes, I usually observe over grass, but that is difficult for me this late in the Jupiter season unless I move the scope a 100 m or so.

Chris

Archived