Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

cotterless45

Sun 24/6/18

Heads up and scopes out ! Huge filament and some prom action, Nicko.IMG_5905.thumb.JPG.5d3f2e8ba1f344a55a8f474695afab48.JPG

• Like 4

That bright active region disappearing round the limb has been interesting. Back out for another hour before the clouds set in ....

• Like 1

Not quite so dramatic in white light, but 2715 is still nice and visible. 

I'm fairly new to solar observing, but have lashed this up from eBay bargains!

20180624_101825.jpg

• Like 2

I've just been out having a look in white light and Ha and both are very nice today. The active region is full of a myriad of features and is lovely close up now that the haze from earlier on has cleared.

The are marked on your sketch as "very bright" seems to be where the other AR disappeared to within the last couple of days. In Ha it is a mass of low-slung proms and loops over quite a wide area (perhaps 15º of the 360?) so it must be right on the limb at the moment.

Lovely stuff! :smile: 

Edited by DRT
  • Like 2

Yep, should have put the time on. The very bright area was around 8am. A look later and it had gone around the limb. Some very nice features today . Hoping it continues in this heat wave ,

Nick.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, cotterless45 said:

Yep, should have put the time on. The very bright area was around 8am. A look later and it had gone around the limb. Some very nice features today . Hoping it continues in this heat wave ,

Nick.

I saw it in white light about the same time, Nick, but it was too murky to see the Ha detail at that point. It wasn't until around 6pm that I could see that through very clear skies, which will hopefully stay with us this evening!

I too had excellent views around 6pm at 150x on my high res 6" PST mod. The receding limb activity showed masses of really fine thread like detail as well as fast moving projections.