Narrowband

Mini-Pc - Weatherproofing

Jbro1985

Hi all, 

For various reasons I am moving my computer station out of our conservatory, sending cables out through the cat flap isn't going to work anymore.

So...  I've got a mini pc on the way to operate an RDS via TeamViewer over wifi for imaging, which should tidy cabling up in general as well.

I am slightly concerned regarding the mini pc being on the scope rig, outside, and succumbing to the dew point (I tend to set up for the night via SGP and return in the morning!)

Has anyone solved this issue?  My feeling is an external junction box but I'd be interested to hear other slightly less cumbersome solutions.

I should think that if you leave it running it will generate enough heat internally to prevent dew forming on / in it.
Another issue you make consider is the ingress of insects during the autumn and winter - when they are looking for a nice, warm spot to live.

What kind of mini pc are we talking about?

Something like an Intel Nuc?

Maybe find a tupperware container that fits the pc, poke holes for cables, some for air and mount that. Also gives some protection from rain.

37 minutes ago, pete_l said:

I should think that if you leave it running it will generate enough heat internally to prevent dew forming on / in it.

I don't think they generate enough heat... I used to have my Laptop sitting next to my scope. Multiple times I would find it almost dripping wet in the morning.

Started to cover it with a towel which solved the problem.

Hi,

I did exactly what you are proposing just a few months back after 18 months of trailing far too many cables through a custom made, weather proofed hole in the wall into our extension.

I now house everything in a clip-lid box as per the attached photographs - hope you don't mind me photo-bombing your thread. I run a single network cable back into the extension; the mains lead is plugged into an external socket on the back of the house via an extension cable. I use a second-hand, refurbished laptop which came with Win10Pro installed to connect to the Intel NUC (running Win10Home) via Remote Desktop; it works a treat especially if I connect the laptop to the network and do not rely on wireless. I use ASCOM, SGPro, PHD2, CdC, HitecFocus and Atik Artemis software.

I usually sit the plastic box on an old wooden stool - it makes it harder for slugs to find their way into the box! When it is windy I put a brick on the box lid. I resisted drilling holes or making slots in the plastic box as it tends to weaken the box.

I now find my setup and strip down time is substantially less. I also have a second 30m network cable so I can position the mount and OTA pretty well anywhere in the garden to best suit the imaging target.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

P.S. The big grey unit in the box is an old 20 amp amateur radio 13.8V psu - it's 35 years old, weighs a ton but is absolutely rock solid at powering the camera, etc.

IMG_7627.JPG

IMG_7628.JPG

IMG_7629.JPG

This is great - thanks.  I'm having an external socket fitted next week and have a weatherproof electric box with an extension in it.  

I have a Minis Forum N34 on the way.  Only cheap but just testing the proof in concept for my setup before going nuts.  I use exactly the same software except for Artemis, which is also encouraging.

Someone posted a photo recently of a PC they'd fitted into an IP65(?) box on their pier that looked quite neat.  I can't for the life of me recall who or in which thread unfortunately :(

James

47 minutes ago, Jbro1985 said:

Are you not tempted to mount the mini pc on the mount head?

Hi Jason,

Not really. I like the idea of minimising the cables but I also want the flexibility to access the NUC. At the end of an imaging session I bundle the cables into the plastic box and bring it in. If I need to access the NUC post imaging all I need to do is plug the box into the mains, hook up a network cable and access it from the laptop. It is also easy for me to remove the NUC from the box and use it stand-alone for other stuff. I don't have a pier - I use the tripod that came with the NEQ6 which allows me the flexibility to put the mount anywhere in the garden.

This is the setup in action - imaging NGC7000 - a quick shot as the image was downloading!

IMG_8452.thumb.JPG.f46dc5fc651333f14eaf213cc2f29e80.JPG

You can see the white network cable and the blue mains extension running back to the house. I know it's not elegant but it works for me and is so, so much better than when I ran umpteen cables through a hole in the wall and was restricted to being no more than 5 metres from the house.

Good luck!

Adrian

Looks great Adrian.  Thanks for showing.  I too don't mind the mess too much and am working off a tripod.  I leave the tripod out (covered) and mount the scope each night.  I like the idea of having a big box like you have!

I used to have the focuser serial cable, mount power supply, power supply to outside electric weatherproof box (powering everything else!), usb to mount and usb to main camera all running through the cat flap. Which frankly was a bloody nightmare and should have been sorted before now anyway.  

Is there a reason you're running a LAN cable instead of WiFi?  Purely reliability?

I now have industrial strength Velcro that allows me to attach 4 port USB 3 hub to the mount plate, and then attach a USB powered stick PC to the hub

A WiFi access port sits in the rat cage - two cables run to the pier - 240V and Cat 5e

Pic shows earlier attempt, but it wasn't very tidy.

No issues leaving it out overnight during the winter

BE4A504D-B2AD-4EE9-AD2A-DDCB320DC953.jpeg

80401AE7-C323-4B69-A0C0-B0495C23FF10.jpeg.7a042a9a9652fc9d7cfa17ac167d6f90[1].jpeg

On 25/06/2018 at 09:04, Jbro1985 said:

Is there a reason you're running a LAN cable instead of WiFi?  Purely reliability?

Hi Jason,

Yep, purely reliability. I have some sort of WiFi gremlin here which causes me endless problems. I've tried using WiFi but just find that invariably it lets me down and I end up with a curtailed imaging session - especially if I have gone to bed to let it get on with it unattended. Also with my very long 30m cable I can move the whole thing well away from the house and see a little bit more of the western sky.

Good luck!

Adrian

Archived