SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

stepper motor controller suggestion

iwols

• 8 months later...
On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 22:40, stash_old said:

later change Robert's excellent code to use Accel Library (stepper control) which gives far more flexibility and control of stepper motors via ANY driver board (IMHO) and I no longer use Ascom as I wrote my own Python GUI interface. But the original was Robert's code unaltered.

Stash

well after a long break with work plan on putting this pup to bed got all the kit ready I know a long time but working 6 days a week and astro on back leg now working 5 days a week so have time for astro work thank god, do you have the Arduino code for this as planning to control my 150pds

regards

Andy

On 07/03/2019 at 21:36, fozzybear said:

Stash

well after a long break with work plan on putting this pup to bed got all the kit ready I know a long time but working 6 days a week and astro on back leg now working 5 days a week so have time for astro work thank god, do you have the Arduino code for this as planning to control my 150pds

regards

Andy

Good question I will have a search round 

• Thanks 1

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 23:11, stash_old said:

Try and remember a real photo but the attach is not far off if they haven't changed the TB6600 board deails (Please check yourself) - most details were etched on the board for setting options - e.g. Microstepping,Current etc

En- and En+   Enable the TB6600

CW+ and CW- Control the direction

CLK+ and Clk-  control the Stepping

B- B+ are 1 coil of the Stepper (4 wire) see spec sheet which if you buy from OMC normal is in the box ?

A- A+ are the other coil of the Stepper

But you need only one set hence EN- CW- and CLK- all to common GND

No need to connect ground between stepper power and Nano 

Hope that helps

nano-tb6600.jpg

enable no8 is this d8 or a4 as per roberts sketch  

rb.jpg

Edited by fozzybear

12 hours ago, fozzybear said:

enabled + on the tb6560 does this goto the pins I suggested a4 or d8?

That depends on the software running on the Nano (if thats wha you are using) - On my modified versions of Roberts code I use D3,D4,D8 - no A pins used - are as my diagram shows thats a direct relationship - d3 nano goes to 3 on the diagram. But as I say it depends on the software pins used - its not hard and fast they just all have to match - e.g. if D3 on the Nano is the CLK signal to the TB6650 then D3 must me connected to CLK + on the TB6650 board ( or whatever board pin has the CLK signal). The software must then make sure that references to the CLK signal are via D3 - Normally only defined once no matter whose software you use. By software I refer to the INO Code for the Arduino. Hope that helps. May I suggest you set up a test rig first before you start soldering to test it all out ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stash_old said:

That depends on the software running on the Nano (if thats wha you are using) - On my modified versions of Roberts code I use D3,D4,D8 - no A pins used - are as my diagram shows thats a direct relationship - d3 nano goes to 3 on the diagram. But as I say it depends on the software pins used - its not hard and fast they just all have to match - e.g. if D3 on the Nano is the CLK signal to the TB6650 then D3 must me connected to CLK + on the TB6650 board ( or whatever board pin has the CLK signal). The software must then make sure that references to the CLK signal are via D3 - Normally only defined once no matter whose software you use. By software I refer to the INO Code for the Arduino. Hope that helps. May I suggest you set up a test rig first before you start soldering to test it all out ?

do you know which ino code to use then from robert or maybe a copy of yours to try (I will be connecting my focuser to my rpi) so moonlight compatible

Regards

Andy

If you mean Linux version then you need Roberts code my Moonlight compat version is wemos Wifi based not Nano - This is the Indi Moonlight version from Robert https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/  and follow the DRV8825 version (this is what I originally used for mine). When you download the zip file it will have lots of version as his version has lots of options - buttons,lcd,Bluetooth etc etc. The first one of each range is the basic.  He has done many changes from when I last looked (over 2yrs ago). The only thing you will not be able to do is micro stepping changes by software but I never found the need as it all depends on you connection to the Scope tube and the Stepper motor ( geared or not , steps per 360 etc etc). As I say I would set up a test bed first.  Note most steppers run best about 12v but with up to 3amp current but again testing should high light any heating problems - IMHO dont be tempted to go 1/32 or even 1/16. 

10 minutes ago, stash_old said:

If you mean Linux version then you need Roberts code my Moonlight compat version is wemos Wifi based not Nano - This is the Indi Moonlight version from Robert https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/  and follow the DRV8825 version (this is what I originally used for mine). When you download the zip file it will have lots of version as his version has lots of options - buttons,lcd,Bluetooth etc etc. The first one of each range is the basic.  He has done many changes from when I last looked (over 2yrs ago). The only thing you will not be able to do is micro stepping changes by software but I never found the need as it all depends on you connection to the Scope tube and the Stepper motor ( geared or not , steps per 360 etc etc). As I say I would set up a test bed first.  Note most steppers run best about 12v but with up to 3amp current but again testing should high light any heating problems - IMHO dont be tempted to go 1/32 or even 1/16. 

https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/files/CODE ARDUINO/ 

goto files Arduino and download Arduino Firmware myFocuserPro-175.zip

is the correct one

regards

Andy

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

I've a NEMA 17 nano and the tb6560 

IMG_20190311_213002.jpg

Looks about right

https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinofocuscontrollerpro/files/CODE ARDUINO/ 

goto files Arduino and download Arduino Firmware myFocuserPro-175.zip

is the correct one

regards

Andy

Its the only one - it contains ALL the INO code for all sorts of set ups ?

• Thanks 1

the tb6560 has whole-step,half-step, 1/8 step and 1/16 step ?

Set it at half-step to start - depends of torque required and how much weight your camera etc - As I say that depends on your mechanical adapter.

• Thanks 1

Is the Stepper 1.8 or 0.9 degree's ?

Shouldn't say this but ,touch wood, they have never let me down - had to reload the Nano a couple of times but the Stepper has been great. A good company. Once you have finished this - the next one you could try the "geared" version its even better but more expensive. 

• Thanks 1

ok update loaded roberts basic ino with to the nano, crossed my fingers applied power to stepper driver then powered on the rpi and nano connected via usb to rpi loaded kstars configured indi with moonlight focuser and hey presto it works well the motor turns forward and backwards so not unexpected bangs from either the driver board or nano. well chuffed now got to get the motor attached to my 150pds std focuser hum.....  cheers stash_old for all your help

regards

Andy 

well an update with the nano and tb6560 all ran cool then tried with the uno and l293d shield and everything got hot including the stepper with the relevant Ino file for the uno 

strange as the stepper is rated at 0.4amps so the shield should cope.. just got to sort out the indi/ekos interface as all my steps are 100? so the motor turns 1/4 turn is this correct any help on configuring the indi interface using the moonlight driver greatly appreciated.

andy

If the motor gets hot, try setting "coil power - off" in your configuration settings, for me, its not needed, as the motor holds position ok with no power, but then I use motors with planetary gearboxes. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:21, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If the motor gets hot, try setting "coil power - off" in your configuration settings, for me, its not needed, as the motor holds position ok with no power, but then I use motors with planetary gearboxes. 

update a problem with one of the phase's on the nema 17 stepper and omc are going to change it, in the meantime ordered a geared stepper pg27 to use with the uno and shield l293d  Julian as try setting "coil power off" is this in the ino file? The foe's of software

Regards

Andy

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:21, Dr_Ju_ju said:

On 16/03/2019 at 08:21, Dr_Ju_ju said:

No quite true Julian switching off the coil power will also sometimes ,depending on micro stepping chosen, mean the focuser will move slightly regardless of the weight of the camera - IME .

You are ok as the planetary geared stepper require a lot of torque to move any way - as felt when you try to turn it by hand when switched off.

Steppers also get hot because of the stepping chosen and the driver miss match - too much current being supplied https://community.parker.com/technologies/electromechanical-group/w/electromechanical-knowledge-base/928/why-is-my-stepper-motor-getting-hot this also possibly means that the voltage needs to be higher or altered e.g. as per A4988 (or equiv).

https://reprap.org/forum/read.php?4,109216 - not astro but there are a lot of  experienced Reprap users ?

Robert's software did have the ability to switch off coil power last time I looked.