SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Total lunar eclipse 27th of July

I don't know if this has been posted here already but right after the sun sets on the 27th of July, people in the north eastern parts of the world can observe a total lunar eclipse. A total lunar eclipse lasting as long as this one won't happen again this decade.

Hope you'll have clear skies!

Oh yeah, thanks for pointing it out. Just looked on Sky Safari, it looks as if it will be very low on the horizon at full eclipse where I am (about 6°)  but I’ll definitely look out for it. :) 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/red-blood-moon-when-total-eclipse-uk-europe-21st-century-a8417736.html 

The last section suggests that "Experts at EarthSky predict the total lunar eclipse will begin at 19:30 and end at 21:13 ... the south of England will be able to see the total eclipse for the longest period of time, an estimated 1 hour and 23 minutes, whilst those in the Scotland will see it for an average of 40 minutes."

From where I am, SW London, it seems the Moon will still only be 2 degrees above the horizon by the time it emerges from eclipse. So no chance for us, basically :(

Magnus

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hoping for shots of a red moon and mars in the same frame ?

does your club have access to a very high point, as by the time it emerges from the shadow the Moon will on the horizon, and Mars a further 5 degrees down?

8 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

does your club have access to a very high point, as by the time it emerges from the shadow the Moon will on the horizon, and Mars a further 5 degrees down?

The moon will still be dusky when it's in the penumbra.

Below is a preview of nine phases of the eclipse as projected against an imaginary blue wall. The posted timings are in BST (UT+1). The events will occur at essentially the same times for all locations after adjustments for time zones. The Moon altitudes are for London. The eclipse will not be visible from North America. 

Lunarama1807.thumb.JPG.01236f121ddabe4d052ec9e1eff950a6.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/06/2018 at 12:30, Captain Magenta said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/red-blood-moon-when-total-eclipse-uk-europe-21st-century-a8417736.html 

The last section suggests that "Experts at EarthSky predict the total lunar eclipse will begin at 19:30 and end at 21:13 ... the south of England will be able to see the total eclipse for the longest period of time, an estimated 1 hour and 23 minutes, whilst those in the Scotland will see it for an average of 40 minutes."

From where I am, SW London, it seems the Moon will still only be 2 degrees above the horizon by the time it emerges from eclipse. So no chance for us, basically :(

Magnus

Relying on articles written by journalists lacking basic science training can be misleading.  The eclipse will indeed end at 21:13, but that us UT/GMT. We are and will be on BST and the total phase will end at 22:13BST, when the Moon is about 9 or 10 degrees above the horizon in SE England.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Relying on articles written by journalists lacking basic science training can be misleading.  The eclipse will indeed end at 21:13, but that us UT/GMT. We are and will be on BST and the total phase will end at 22:13BST, when the Moon is about 9 or 10 degrees above the horizon in SE England.

Indeed, this snap from SkySafari confirms that, with the moon at almost exactly nine degrees.

71ED0BB8-0DFD-4006-BBD9-66E32372762A.png

If it's clear the moon will be well visible at our club meeting venue. I suspect we may lobby for an early start to observing ?

Mars will be 2 degrees above the horizon but heading for opposition at 1am (!)

If it's clear it will be a long, but good, night!

Archived