Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

50/50 Roll off build

Yawning Angel

14 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Keeping it moving forward Alex, that's the important thing :)

I'm actually finding it quite helpful having other people also documenting their builds at the same time as I'm doing mine.  As everyone else's progresses it keeps me wanting to maintain momentum on my own build.

James

Yes, couldn't agree more. It certainly keeps me motivated ? 

Not that it's a race of course, but with possibly the longest build on the forum, I don't think I could stand the embarrassment if you guys beat me to the finish line ?. At least for the main build anyway; I suspect it may be a while before I install a permanent power supply and will probably be running off an extension cable for a while.

Keep going Alex and James - your builds are looking great.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Astrokev said:

Yes, couldn't agree more. It certainly keeps me motivated ? 

Not that it's a race of course, but with possibly the longest build on the forum, I don't think I could stand the embarrassment if you guys beat me to the finish line ?. At least for the main build anyway; I suspect it may be a while before I install a permanent power supply and will probably be running off an extension cable for a while.

Keep going Alex and James - your builds are looking great.

End of the year is my goal. Dry and powered. We’ll see ?

1 hour ago, Yawning Angel said:

Thanks James, I feel the same motivation. I think Kev is going to win though ?

Maybe, we'll see, but then I did start in July 2017 ! ?

but like I said, I can't see me having permanent power until next year. I'd like to hook up power to 3 outbuildings spread around the garden, and I just can't see me getting round to that for a while yet. No worries, I'm happy to run off an extension cable for a while. 

• Like 1

Quick update of the weekends efforts:

The warm room has a roof and the rolling roof is ready for it's sheeting! This show the rolling roof 'open', as it's being used to help pin the tarp down. Now we get to see if keeping the walls open till the roof went on was a good idea. It is intended to keep the wind lift down by allowing free flow on both sides - I love a good 'theory' ?

Also, this was the first test of a full roll off, which was very smooth, even considering the metal rails on the warm side aren't fixed down. Amazing to feel the heft of those 3m long 200 x 100 side rails running with one finger!

617476578_rollingon.thumb.png.f8e47ed571bde6d0eac60977f7af8e28.png

Nice to looks up and see a ceiling ? Marine ply over 100 x 50mm joists. I spend a while sat on it today, screwing it all down, and it felt rock solid

1961137529_roofyay.thumb.png.47bd626293f868500cdddf22b9438eef.png

I might chance a day off during the week to get the ply on the rolling side - this would bring the waterproofing one step closer. Fingers crossed

• Like 4

It is amazing how easily the rails and wheels allow things to move.  At the moment I reckon my roof contains about 70kg of steel and around 40kg of OSB.  The EPDM I put on today is 30kg-ish.  So that's somewhere in the region of 140kg in total.  And I can still push it open and closed with one finger (though it has become a little harder to start it moving with everything I've done this weekend).

James

• Like 2

How have I missed this thread ? Must learn to scroll lol 

Stunning work thus far pal. I just love seeing a project move along in pictures.

Need to go back and read through this now ?? 

Stunning.

Lee.

Dodging showers today, managed to get all the marine ply up and fixed. Had to take the rails off, as the next step has GRP trim, which the rails will be fixed through. It did mean I could temp screw the whole assembly down, for safety

A bit of a fight with an 8x5m tarp / sail / parachute ? All roped down safe, weighted and even screwed some batons to it

2057BD28-6E99-4C8B-AAE9-373F4F116B81.thumb.jpeg.ad89fad0ad5f3277d4eeeb047fe82e18.jpeg

A032BFC3-7F2F-4C50-A88C-BBF75709F11E.thumb.jpeg.8f1b8bf54cfe1fd4928952cdd57e8930.jpeg

Very odd to be ‘inside’ finally. Immediately needed a light ?

The base layer of the waterproofing goes on this Sunday, hopefully 

• Like 1

Looking good Alex.

I know what you mean by being odd once a 'roof' is on. I had exactly the same feeling. I was working inside a few days ago on my door and needed a light....then I realised I could just roll the roof open. D'oh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The waterproof base layer went on today, along with the trims. It’s basically waterproof now, pending the glass mat reinforced top coat(s).

Massive thanks to the fellow astronomer, Joe, from the technical team at work for his expertise! 

DE42BDF5-C42B-481B-A92E-93E094025D0D.thumb.jpeg.2a5eb3aced2b423379a76c3fbb130f82.jpeg
Joe having a well deserved brew!

1282750A-C7CE-4343-BE2B-A850603DF615.thumb.jpeg.dbc94d38f8a9ed0e48c0c9b983c7a17b.jpeg

671CA059-7761-46DA-8EA9-D75F2D96AE6D.thumb.jpeg.913656071357953023605bb70e3bec9d.jpeg

?

Edited by Yawning Angel
  • Like 5

Thanks! That coating is the vapour barrier, applied with what is basically contact adhesive.  Next is the liquid coating with glass fibre mat imbedded. Followed by the mid grey top coat. 

Im looking forward to the cladding too. It’ll suddenly be a building

Edited by Yawning Angel
  • Like 2

Status update: the roof is waterproofed, although not in its finished state. It needs a top coat to smooth it over, but it’s not idea at this time of year, so it’s a job for next year now. The rails need to go back on once the coating has cured (next weekend)

So, with the roof pretty much ticked off, I’ve put up the membrane ready for cladding. 

Daylight photos! (Yes, it’s a swamp!)

50125B7B-F640-4A05-BF75-A7A104CDE5C7.thumb.jpeg.6961370161656c09b28bf5674fe83747.jpeg

93BB3BBB-A65B-48E1-A6B2-5C7B9411386B.thumb.jpeg.72a301101560de99ab39119706d21c99.jpeg

• Like 3

Good progress Alex. 

I've put a left over strip of EPDM membrane across the garden between my obsy and the decking where I'm using my jigsaw. We have a very high water table at the best of times being only 100 metres from the River Great Ouse. It's certainly helping keep the mud down. 

• Like 1

Good progress :)  That does look pretty muddy.  Fortunately the ground around my build drains pretty well, but about twenty yards away a stream of water a couple of feet wide has appeared over the last few days.

James