Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

50/50 Roll off build

Yawning Angel

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how that happened, Kev - I've been following your build with interest, and cribbing your fixes and tips! I've been doing bits, but it kind of looks the same, so haven't updated ? I should be able to start on the rolling roof build tomorrow, assuming the forecast is even half right, and the ply is cut ready for the warm side roof to go on. Door frame is in, and I'm cutting up the cladding lengths. Would have had a door too, but it arrived with a massive split in it, so waiting on the replacement

I'm building all the bits I can, then assembling it like an Ikea bookcase

Rolling roof sides done & notched for the wheels. 50 x 200 laminated to 50 x 175, 3m long. Storing then on the roof for now ?

Wheels are 650 in from each end. A rough trial and it seems to be able to roll, might need a washer or 2 for clearance. Some pics:

FA222779-B195-415B-A70B-D54BA686D2E5.thumb.jpeg.530c4c02e58bab010c989795a6ee7d29.jpeg

D792D865-1A24-48C9-AA11-72E0E7CA75AC.thumb.jpeg.491e077b6caeb40f54a13979075bde54.jpeg

081C05E8-15FA-4B99-A942-E3A4AAB4304B.thumb.jpeg.f4241749ba965200c152b6877dae6b21.jpeg

9722EE52-09F9-44C8-A2AC-DF9CB156997E.thumb.jpeg.4ac2bb989c963a9f75d3a76cdebc747a.jpeg

1D1A0C88-3AE4-4A2E-B426-B70E93F5FD74.thumb.jpeg.31072603b1e6ea0fe0e37522494cd48f.jpeg

• Like 3

It was pretty clear yesterday, which is a blessing and a curse, when doing a roof I kept looking up only to have the sun right in my eyes ? Are astronomers ever  happy with the weather?!

The wheels and associated track are v grooved from FHBrundle. 80mm diameter. Rated to 250kg. Very smooth action, simple but well engineered. Hopefully I can do it justice 

edit:

These wheels

Edited by Yawning Angel

Same wheels as mine too. I opted for 6. Four would have taken the load easily, but I wanted to add more support in the centre of the span to remove risk of flexure of the beams. 

Probably me being thick but I'm struggling a bit to understand how the notched beams will be positioned, and how you intend to attach the wheels?

We should be getting a special rate from FH Brundle!

It's not easy to see from the materials as they are, but the notched beams will sit as the sides for the rolling roof, notches to the inside. The wheels will be sat in the notches, raising the beam just enough so the outside of the beam doesn't foul the rail - the test fit worked, although a shim might be needed depending on how straight and level everything is

682279098_2018-10-2922_16_13-Window.png.4ef979f7325e23abcd0167a06650ff25.png

The spars, joists and eventually the 'flat' roof will then hang between these two - or that's the plan ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah, I see now - excellent thanks. It didn't help that I was looking at your earlier post on my mobile, and the pic was a bit small!

Kev

EDIT - nice drawing by the way. SketchUp I presume. I couldn't live without SketchUp!

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Astrokev said:

EDIT - nice drawing by the way. SketchUp I presume. I couldn't live without SketchUp!

Oh yes Kev, SketchUp is making this build possible ?From the finer details of the pier, to the foundations and up, its been great. Not a lot of wasted materials this way too.

I try to keep it updated of any on-the-job changes, so it’ll serve as a reference in future - or help someone else

4 hours ago, Yawning Angel said:

Oh yes Kev, SketchUp is making this build possible ?From the finer details of the pier, to the foundations and up, its been great. Not a lot of wasted materials this way too.

I try to keep it updated of any on-the-job changes, so it’ll serve as a reference in future - or help someone else

Yes I did the same. You may have seen my SketchUp model linked in one of my posts somewhere in my thread. 

• 2 weeks later...

Although the weather was a bit hit and miss, and other jobs demanded attention, I managed to get both rolling rail up and joined together

Other than that, it roof joists are cut and waiting - next weekend 

Lastly, I had a great conversation with one of our technical guys from work, about getting the roof coated. Seems straightforward, so waterproof roof ‘coming soon’ ?

There would have been photos, but it was dark when I remembered 

• Like 2

So as not to let the side down, I’ve also been busy building today, if only in the afternoon. Gloriously sunny, if cold - Now the rolling roof has joists, and most of the wood that might see weather has now had a lick of paint

Tomorrow, weather dependent, the rolling roof will be structurally complete, ready for the marine ply and waterproofing top coat. The light was gone before I remembered photos...again ?

• Like 1

Keeping it moving forward Alex, that's the important thing :)

I'm actually finding it quite helpful having other people also documenting their builds at the same time as I'm doing mine.  As everyone else's progresses it keeps me wanting to maintain momentum on my own build.

James

• Like 2