Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

50/50 Roll off build

Yawning Angel

That's the wood up to the roof, but not including. Unless I'm well adrift, it should be fine. That's framing and cladding. A smaller number of long lengths was more economical...the chop saw will be busy!

Edited by Yawning Angel

A slight bump in th eroad has been the pier. The first puck wasn't sized for my AVX, but Rother Valley Optics have done a great job sorting it out, and puck no2 is now here awaiting a test fit

IMG_0031.thumb.jpg.7eb4d01132f03441389b13aaac17e02a.jpg

Assuming all is well, I can finally align to north and concrete in the bolt box.

Some framework will be going on this weekend, starting on the back wall where access will be limited once it goes up. Frame it, clad it and paint it flat, then install it complete. It's only 4.2 x 2m, how heavy can it be?! ?

• Haha 1

One step forward, one backward 

The puck, above, doesn’t fit. It’s close, but this is neither horseshoes nor hand grenades, so back it goes ?

However, after dodging hail stones and rain yesterday, today I’ve half of the back wall framed up. The cladding is also ready to fit and coat before it goes up. 

79ED32A4-F6B5-486A-9D06-4F133F38E771.thumb.jpeg.f072fcd25bded988559d44bd731f5347.jpeg

Maybe half a step ahead overall ??

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stargazer33 said:

Have they overdone the powder coating, or are the holes in the wrong place?

The centre hole is too small, by 0.5mm or so, and the alt bolt on the mount lands right on a hold down in the plate. They're skimming it out and re-drilling the az post hole - it's times like this I wish I had a lathe ?

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 00:22, Astrokev said:

Hope you get the adapter sorted Alex, must be very frustrating.

Good progress you're making otherwise ?

Thank Kev, it's been a little testing. The ill-fitting adapter and it's associated pier have been returned - about 6 weeks of to and fro is enough. Time to put on my old engineering hat and make something! ?

• Like 1

Pier mkii is underway - sketchup to the rescue! This will be a concrete filled 175mm ridged and rigid pipe, topped with a pair of 6mm octagonal stainless plates (already a nice shape, thanks ebay!) separated by 50mm stainless spacers and bolted together with 12mm stainless bar. The puck is a beautiful bit of machining from Altair, which fits perfectly. All secured to the pipe by 3 250mm long 12mm stainless L bolts

Not owning a drill press, I've enlisted our engineering department for the precision drilling - they even offered give it a nice finish with some sort of acid wash ?

oct3.thumb.png.ebc4c388ddbe7c7c0d40b37752dab078.png

Much happier with this design (much cheaper too), and it means I can get on...if only I didn't have to work away this weekend!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Given a few gaps in the weather, construction has continued. One end wall and the back are now framed, and put to one side. The back wall is awaiting cladding before install. The rest of the frame timber has been cut to length ready to blitz it!

Also, finally poured the concrete for the pier, so the obs side flooring joists can go in! It's starting to come together

552743948_2018-09-1708_59_39-Start.png.372f4f4a7c078c0cd3545813e62b412b.png

Excuse the random rope, but the met office issued a warning for wind, and I've a gazebo covering it over ?️☂️? - It survived ?

I've a 3m length of 150mm ID twinwall pipe spare now, if anyone needs (It comes in 6m, which was a tad long for the pier) It's this stuff : Naylor MetroDrain -71302

• Like 3

Well I'm down here in deepest Cornwall, only to hear that the tarp covering my build has ripped to shreds in the strong winds the other day. And it's been chucking it down for the last day and a half. 

Oh well, not much I can do. I guess it'll dry out!

Edited by Astrokev
  • Sad 1

I'm sure it will be fine.  Must have been some fairly stiff winds though,  Fortunately it looks as though this weekend is not going to be as bad as predicted here (though we're not sure of rain by any stretch of the imagination).

James

Oooh, you’re still winning ?

Another frame up today, with plans to complete the back wall tomorrow. Underestimated for stud, so working where I’ve materials

Starting to gather a quantities list for the roof, to get it all ordered up. Will be nice to have the rails and wheels on site finally 

7A7866AC-E4B0-4E36-BFB0-D74667DF8E2F.thumb.jpeg.a049f9d51ee3bfd334181952f0e6ed2d.jpeg

• Like 4