Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

k0b

My SW OTA is about 12kg what CHEAP equatorial i can get?

Hi Guys,

As subject, is there any cheap alternative to EQ5 ?

Today I have found TAL-1 on carboot  sale... and some guys from our forum mention TAL-2M ( it should take up to 20kg ) 

For today I'm not into astrophotography but who knows, I'm looking for cheap alternative possible second hand, just don't know what I should looking for..

Thx

EQ5's are not expensive when bought used. I've seen them for under £100. They won't hold a 12kg optical tube steady enough for imaging but maybe just about OK for visual observing. HEQ5 better (depending on the length of the tube) and preferrably an EQ6.

Exactly what 12kg optical tube are you looking to mount ?

• Like 1

When I got my bresser 127L, all I had was an eq3/2 mount and empty wallet. The eq3/2 almost bent when I mounted the ota. Then I saw an ad of a Tal 2M mount. It is quite substantial, probably handles as much payload as an eq6, certainly as a Heq5 and tracks pretty good for visual, keeping Jupiter in the eyepiece for over an hour with rough PA.

The head cost me 90€ and I made a steel tripod for another 30€.

BUT:

It was in really mint condition.

No polar finder.

It has a 16° tangent arm for DEC.

No stepper motor, just a synchronous one.

You can forget goto as well as AP and guiding.

You 'll have trouble finding parts in case of....

Other than that it's really brilliant, old school and built like a tank( ? everyone says that), with 180 teeth brass gear, and clutch for the RA. Really easy to use too because of the clutch , they don't call it dob eq for nothing.

But if my budget could stretch to   500€ + , and had not ruled out long exposure AP, I would have certainly considered an older Heq5 or even eq6

IMG_20171214_103814_646.thumb.jpg.a12e55337beb332a54af5ba76434261a.jpg

Edited by R26 oldtimer
more info

36 minutes ago, John said:

EQ5's are not expensive when bought used. I've seen them for under £100. They won't hold a 12kg optical tube steady enough for imaging but maybe just about OK for visual observing. HEQ5 better (depending on the length of the tube) and preferrably an EQ6.

Exactly what 12kg optical tube are you looking to mount ?

Currently I have SW 200p OTA skyline / two rings around OTA/ and long bar attached to rings...

All together is about 11,2 so I would say 12kg

What is your budget for the mount ?

I think no more than 200£ , that's why I'm going to look after non brand second hand.... I can't spend more as She will kill me.... ;)

I have lots of hobby's as I'm deep Suuba Diver, photographer & studio equipment, plus just finished my gym in garage 500kg (God know how I could collect that much)....

and now I'm spending earnings on telescope ;))

Please help. Help ;))

Any old Fullerscope equatorial, the British equivalent of TAL.

Look on ebay under TAL or Fullerscope. I notice there is a nice looking Towa equatorial, which looks strong.

Edited by 25585

The Fullerscope MkIII would exceed the Tal 1 mount in terms of stability and carrying capacity - the Tal 2 eq is a closer match.

£200 should get a decent used EQ5 or even a CG5 which is the Celestron version with 2 inch steel tripod legs. Recently I sold an old HEQ5 (non-GOTO) for £200.

Did u sold yours heq5 here or eBay?

I think I need to sell some of my photography studios eq or ;) to get some funds for new hobby.

3 hours ago, John said:

I sold it privately.

Here is a Fullerscopes MkIII mount head but it needs a pillar adding to it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fullerscopes-MkIII-Equatorial-Mounting/232756527035?hash=item36315ebfbb:g:hJ4AAOSwdVFay1Xr

If that is the black one, its to go for. ? Just needs the big black  bakerlite knobs and dinner plate setting circles, latter being sold separately, can be added. Those mounts were able to take FS heavy 8 inch OTA'S so just right for a 200P.

Clamping to a pier was only by grip of 3 large bolts, not even into holes, the mount weight pinned it down. FS piers were made from steam pipe. Feet did attach to holes with nut and bolt. The other alternative was a fixed leg tripod. A SW tripod & pier top for EQ5 or EQ6 would probably be the right diameter.

Edited by 25585