Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should it stay, or should it go?.

LukeSkywatcher

Ive been thinking lately of selling my 8Se. It doesnt get much use due to weather and life situation in general.

I have a SW Heritage 130p, and also a Bresser ar 102 xs.

I bought the 8Se about 5 yrs ago (new), and its still as new. I paid about 1,700 euros for it. Im not bothered about selling price (making a loss). Im thinking of selling it on the Irish market (Astronomy Ireland) and collection only. Ive just bought a Skywatcher 17Ah power pack also, which will be included in the deal.

Im thinking €1,300 euros.

Here's the thing...........

Its stored away, and really isnt any bother to me.  Should i keep it and use it when i want, or should i sell?.

Money is not the reason for thinking of selling. I just see myself and my new Bresser ar 102 xs becoming best friends.

Thoughts?

If you sell it, will you miss it? I have a load of tools that I have acquired over the years. Some I have used maybe once but I could never ever part with them! You can never have too many tools!

Is it possible to have too many telescopes?

Edit: But if you sold it to fund something else astronomy related, well...

I've often found myself in the same position over the years, having owned many scope and never less than 3 at a time, there's always the one that gets far more use than the others and that one has been a staple.

I have always ended up selling my least used and either buying something else or using the funds for enriching the accessories  list for my most used scope, that way i ensure i'm getting the most out of my most used scope.

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I've often found myself in the same position over the years, having owned many scope and never less than 3 at a time, there's always the one that gets far more use than the others and that one has been a staple.

I have always ended up selling my least used and either buying something else or using the funds for enriching the accessories  list for my most used scope, that way i ensure i'm getting the most out of my most used scope.

Thats the thing.

My Heritage 130P is a keeper as a "grab n go".  My new 102 was bought for solar observing but is a very nice all rounder and even more portable than the 8Se.

Aperture really isnt everything.

I guess if you are thinking of selling it suggests to me it will end up stored away and probably not see the light of day, which would be a shame. Also if you are not desperate for the cash then you can name a price you are happy with and hold on till you get the correct price or withdraw the sale if people are offering silly money. Then think that although you don't need the money right now is here anything more useful that you could get that would be used on a regular basis? 

But, isn't there always a but, on the other hand we all have treasured items that we do not want to part with even though we probably know we will never use them in anger again, so a tricky decision, but one I would be happy to have ? 

Steve

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I dont know if id miss it. I mean, the view through an 8" scope is vastly different to any other lesser aperture scope. 

You say you don't know if you'd miss it, but also say the view is vastly different from a smaller scope, i would interpret that as your 8" provides a far better image but you're not sure if you'd miss that?

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

You say you don't know if you'd miss it, but also say the view is vastly different from a smaller scope, i would interpret that as your 8" provides a far better image but you're not sure if you'd miss that?

Thanks. Im keeping the 8Se. Best views ive ever had. I dont need the cash, its no bother sitting where it is and i can take it out when i want.

If you don't need the money and don't have any other gear in mind to swap it for I would vote to keep it.

My C8 is the least used of my scopes, the smaller ones beat the C8 for grab and go convenience, and the vx14 beats it at everything except that the vx is heavier and longer, but the C8 is a different option/experience and a nice one to take out now and again. I'm keeping mine until either I swap it for a 180 Maksutov or I swap a few scopes for an apo.

I think that's a good decision Paul - it's what I would do but then I rarely get rid of anything.  I only do that if I need the money.

5 minutes ago, Paz said:

If you don't need the money and don't have any other gear in mind to swap it for I would vote to keep it.

My C8 is the least used of my scopes, the smaller ones beat the C8 for grab and go convenience, and the vx14 beats it at everything except that the vx is heavier and longer, but the C8 is a different option/experience and a nice one to take out now and again. I'm keeping mine until either I swap it for a 180 Maksutov or I swap a few scopes for an apo.

Now you mention it, im thinking of a binoviewer. Selling the 8se would pay for that.

I used to be indecisive, but I am not sure that I am any more.......
Sorry Paul, could not resist.

On a serious note, if it is causing this much thought, I think you are wanting to keep it, especially as a hoarder 

44 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Is it possible to have too many telescopes?

My wife would answer that in the affirmative! 

I have five 'scopes now. When the third arrived in the post. With a part puzzled, part annoyed expression on her face, and a sprinkling of sarcasm, the wife asked me; "why do you need another telescope, you only have two eyes?" - I tried to explain it was a guide scope. She thinks I'm bonkers! ??? 

To answer to OP; Keep it! You know the day after it's gone you'll find a use for it. ?

One other thing to consider is when the electronics of the Celestron are becoming obsolete its value will decline. People tend to want the latest models. So there is something to be said for selling it on before then (whenever "then" is!). After that it comes down to the value of the OTA. But as far as I can see, it's still a current model.

Well Paul, the 8SE is a fine telescope, and when I got mine, you gave me some helpful comments, thanks!  I now also have a frac and a Dob, and they make a great trio for different situations.  So I would never sell my 8SE - good mag, not bad FOV, GoTo and tracking, easy to manage and use - got to be a keeper!

Doug.

Archived