SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Bresser frac, first light.

RiponJas

Just took delivery of a shiny new Bresser AR152L/1200 today and promptly popped it on the equally shiny HEQ5 Pro. 

Been sat staring at the moon for the past hour and half if not more. Had my youngest son out with my 10"dob also for a while so could do a direct side by side comparison. 

Wow to the frac, craters within craters with other bits for good measure. Never sat looking at one thing for so long ever.  The clarity really has blown me away this evening. Just awaiting Jupiter to show its face now. 

Amazed that after 4 5 years of life the moon still fascinates me. 

Loving it. 

Jas

• 3 weeks later...

Bought an Altair Lightwave dielectric 2"diagonal for this scope and have to say its really improved the viewing. 

Got new ep's on the way to so hopefully things will improve even more. 

Glad I purchased this one, money well spent. ? 

And on a additional pleasant note I just showed a friend jupiter last night and he has since spent the day looking at which scope he is going to purchase. 

Ah, another convert. 

Congratulations on your new scope Jas. These big Bresser achromats do deliver some great views, and the 6" you have bought is top of that pile, aperture wise.

It should also deliver some very nice deep sky views - try the Hercules globular cluster M13. Your scope will resolve a lot of faint magnitude 11-12 stars and using a higher power of around x150 will increase the contrast, making the background appear darker and those fainter stars will really "pop" into view?

Dave

That’s a smashing focal length, Jas!  F8 corrects lots of the anomalies with achromats to provide stunning high power viewing. My 152 is only f5.9 which is good for wider views but less so at the high end of magnification.  Enjoy!  A 6” barrel is very effective on DSO’s. It’s got loads more wow factor than my old 130P. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just come inside after spending the last 2 hours enjoying finally getting the HEQ5 polar aligned and getting the goto function going. 

Love it now, even more than before. Had it tracking jupiter which made viewing so much more comfy,  had a look at a couple of double stars (mizar, kappa boo) and finally saw saturn for the first time even if it was poor viewing from my back garden. 

Oh and it was my birthday so been a cracking end to a cracking day. ? 

Jas

Hmm this is starting to get expensive now!! Looking at power supply next, got a small frac coming on Saturday for piggybacking then will be looking at cam for the small frac. Then probably a new laptop for dedicated use. Oh, and probably better ep's and a couple of filters. 

Will also need transportation bags for scope and mount so can get out and about plus noticed I may need to buy the extension tube for the HEQ5 as had a couple of knocks when using goto. 

But I'm still smiling ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived