Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Space_Plane

AZ GTI goto alignment

Hi all,

Recently got my first goto mount, the AZ GTI, and haven't had much success with the goto function. 

The mount seems to track fine if I manually move it and "point and track", e.g. the Moon stayed central in the eyepiece for a long time last night, but no matter what alignment method I attempt (1 star, north level etc) once it completes, it is nowhere near the target!

Instructions with the mount are a bit....thin, and I've read as much as I can find.  When aligning, with any method, does it always have to start, telescope level on the left hand side, mount pointing north? (like north level).

Sorry for what is probably a daft question, ? the answer maybe applies to all goto mounts / alignment.

For info: being used with Synscan Pro app on android, with a balanced 72 ED-R scope & fully charged external powerpack.

Thanks!

Just so that I understand, is your issue the accuracy of the alignment/goto function or is it the accuracy of the subsequent tracking?

Tony

Hi,

Many thanks, I've been following that thread with great interest, incase the same thing happens to me!

For clarity I'm basically unclear if I'm even completing the alignment / goto correctly.  What is the best process to follow?

Any time I try to align (assuming I always start from north & level) the scope points nowhere near the target.

I have no idea yet if tracking after a goto is successful (having never...gone to, lol).

Cheers

There is nothing wrong with starting North&Level, being level is certainly a good idea.

I tend to use brightest star alignment, but north & level alignment works as well.

I tend to start with the scope pointed manually near the first star I align on (speeds up the process a little bit). I then use the arrows at a low speed (typically 3) to complete the alignment on the first star. Don't forget (and this is VERY IMPORTANT), that your last movements with the arrows must be up and right. Press align complete once you (and tha app) are happy. The mount will automatically go to the 2nd star once you have chosen it. You need to repeat the arrow movements and up and right as the last step again.

Once you have it aligned correctly using the method above (it is in the manual but not an easy read) the goto for me works pretty well.

Tony

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony, greatly appreciate your explanation.  I was always starting (best i could anyway) north and level, and the mount would slew as hard as it could, just...not even close to where it should be going.

I hadn't considered manually pointing toward the first alignment star, I look forward to giving it a go asap. 

Part of me expects it to just wildly slew off somewhere else in the sky haha, but hopefully not!

Thanks again