SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Picking an LNB for Solar Observations

Hi,

So I've got my HackRF, LNA with FM Notch Filter and my oval-parabolic ([Diameter 1]: 77cm x [Diameter 2]: 72cm x [Depth]: 7cm) satellite dish. What I'm missing is a Ku-band LNB capable of receiving signals ranging from around ~10-12GHz. I am currently planning on doing solar observations so I can get some experience and then maybe move on to observing other radio-emitting sources.

However, I have no idea how to pick the right LNB. Doing a quick search on the equivalent "eBay" of my country gives me these options: https://www.skroutz.gr/c/1801/LNB.html?from=cat-match&o=lnb (I don't wanna order from eBay cause it'll take quite some time for the item to be delivered). Each LNB seems to have different specifications and characteristics, I see "LNB Noise Figure", "LO Phase Noise", "LO Spurious Noise", "Noise Figure", "Conversion Gain" and a ton more values whose meaning I don't seem understand... Could anyone lead me and tell me which of the LNBs on the link (^) is "ideal" for my purpose?

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't know, but i can tell you plenty of people use old satellite dishes and their LNBs for basic solar detection, you should be able to pick one up secondhand for peanuts.

This was actually a WiFi dish so it’s LNB is only capable of receiving at 2.4GHz instead of the Ku Band.

On 22/06/2018 at 03:36, Stub Mandrel said:

I don't know, but i can tell you plenty of people use old satellite dishes and their LNBs for basic solar detection, you should be able to pick one up secondhand for peanuts.

Just ordered this LNB: https://stokostos.gr/tv-sat/lnb/signle/single-eco-slim-lnb-amiko-l108.html

I've got a HackRF with an SMA Port, and I've heard I'll need some kind of Bias Tee adapter in order to provide power to the LNB or something? Any idea what that means and what I'd need to hook the LNB up to my SDR?

42 minutes ago, Coto said:

Just ordered this LNB: https://stokostos.gr/tv-sat/lnb/signle/single-eco-slim-lnb-amiko-l108.html

I've got a HackRF with an SMA Port, and I've heard I'll need some kind of Bias Tee adapter in order to provide power to the LNB or something? Any idea what that means and what I'd need to hook the LNB up to my SDR?

Wow that is cheap!

Output frequencies are ideal for an SDR dongle.

Usually you need to get the 12V DC voltage into the coax, I assume that this means a special t-connector to avoid creating an impedance change = reflections = signal loss.

I have had to move indoors because the Mozzies are biting....

This was my low cost setup.

For the solar project I used a small 450mm dish that came with a 12 ghz LNB. The "receiver" was a satellite finder. 

If the guts are removed from the satellite finder you can solder wires to the coax input and apply 12 volts (+ to the coax core - to the outer braid. This will power the LNB

Find the two wires that go to the coil of the satellite finder meter and solder two wires to the connections. Attach these to a digital voltmeter.

Power up and point the dish just ahead of the sun. As the sun passes through the beam note the voltages every 10 seconds . Plot these readings to form a graph.

The whole setup cost £13 for the dish and LNB, Satellite finder £5 and the digital voltmeter £8 all from a well known auction site.

Archived