Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

WbRaDy

Skywatcher GTI tripod mod

I was a bit worried about the various comments about the GTI tripod on the internet, after hours of searching it seemed an even spread of 50% dont buy and 50% buy...i couldnt make my mind up...but what i did have was an unused AZ-EQ6 doing absolutely nothing in the shed as my mount is fixed...soooo.....fettle time ?

I wanted the GTI for what its made for, an easy to set up chuck about but i wasn't worried about the weight, it will happily sit in the back of the car for holidays/weekends away for use with the ST80 and Hyperion zoom.

Its a simple setup, 300mm of stainless 60mm tube blanked off each end and drilled with 13mm holes, through this is 500mm of threaded bodge job, basicly 400mm of 12mm stainless bar with 50mm of M12 thread welded to the end, other end has 50mm of 3/8 16 unc thread welded on which sandwiches the whole lot together with a M12 thumb wheel already on the original tripod set up......so all in all sturdy as hell.. but just as heavy.

Im not sure if this should be in the DIY section i apologise if it should.

SBQSVog.jpg

Edited by wayne11

And best 20% from a 1000 using this setup and a ZWO290 in daylight....

xUgyTiH.jpg

Edited by wayne11
  • Like 1