Narrowband

Saturn 6 Jun 2018

MarsG76

Hello all,

Sharing with you my latest Saturn image. This if imaged at f33 on my 8SE using Skyris618C. Stacked in AS3, drizzle 1.5X, derotated in WinJupos and processed in PS.

The most interesting feature is, what looks like, a storm developing near the northern polar region.

Clear skies.

Saturn 6Jun18.JPG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's too easy for you AI down under, Saturn must be almost overhead! :D What does the actual view through the telescope look like, though? Is it anywhere near as detailed? Can you see any surface details? I've never even seen the Cassini Division, but I'm hoping I will with my new refractor. :) 

John

1 hour ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

It's too easy for you AI down under, Saturn must be almost overhead! :D What does the actual view through the telescope look like, though? Is it anywhere near as detailed? Can you see any surface details? I've never even seen the Cassini Division, but I'm hoping I will with my new refractor. :) 

John

I wouldn't call it easy but Saturn is overhead, near zenith.

As for view through the eyepiece, Saturn looks amazing at 406X magnified in my 8SE and even better through the 14" Skywatcher at 480X.

The Cassini division, cloud bands on a golden globe, rings, ring shadow on the globe and globe shadow on the back of the rings all surrounded by 5 or 6 moons... it actually looks better than the photo in the eyepiece, it looks alive.

That sounds amazing. ? Sometime Soonᵀᴹ I will get a large telescope for views like that. ;) 

When I have a house and an obsy, I will put an EQ8 in it so I can mount anything. Then I can use a pair of 300mm scopes, a SW f4 Imaging Newt for DSOs and a Celestron cat for planetary. :D

John

26 minutes ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

That sounds amazing. ? Sometime Soonᵀᴹ I will get a large telescope for views like that. ;) 

When I have a house and an obsy, I will put an EQ8 in it so I can mount anything. Then I can use a pair of 300mm scopes, a SW f4 Imaging Newt for DSOs and a Celestron cat for planetary. :D

John

That would be absolutely awesome 

I was hoping to capture the Encke division... at least a hint of it. The seeing was quite good so I thought that I had a chance of it coming out in the stacks but no such luck. I have been hunting the Encke gap for a while with no luck, do I'm starting to suspect that the 8" SCT is not large enough to pickup such fine detail.

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

I was hoping to capture the Encke division... at least a hint of it. The seeing was quite good so I thought that I had a chance of it coming out in the stacks but no such luck. I have been hunting the Encke gap for a while with no luck, do I'm starting to suspect that the 8" SCT is not large enough to pickup such fine detail.

Are uou talking about the Division or the Minima ? The Division is always obvious which you captured well . The Minima is very hard to capture . Totally depends the tilt of Saturn . 

http://ejamison.net/encke.html

On 21/06/2018 at 15:03, Demonperformer said:

That is superb.

Even when Saturn was a lot higher in the sky here than it is now, I have never got my 8SE to produce images anything like that. Great stuff.

I find it perseverance and luck... I throw out more captures than I keep, but once every so often the seeing and atmospheric stillness line up to really push that 8" mirror.

3 hours ago, RolandKol said:

just for fun :) 

below is my reality ;) do not laugh too loud ;)

130PDS, x3 Barlow and ASI224MC

646007355_9_Sat_RGB_Gain500(off)_Exposure6.jpg.008538887fa98315a59491d6a5392074.jpg

No one is laughing, it's a fine  image... I see the Cassini division punching through and a hint of globe banding...

I used a larger aperture telescope and Saturn is overhead from my location, near zenith, so I had a massive environmental advantage compared to your location hence the larger image scale.

That is a cracker capture. Well done! You can see the storm easily. Just wish Saturn wasn't so low here....might have to demolish a neighbour's house lol!

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived