SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter and Zubenelgenubi

I'm sure everyone's noticed that star (actually stars) that's been hounding Jupiter. It's Zubenelgenubi and, upon closer inspection, Alpha 1 Librae. You can see the moons of Jupiter in this image as well. I took this wide-field shot using my Nikon D3200 on the night of 18 June of this nice composition of celestial objects:

2103441946_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERZUBENELGENUBI(CAPTIONS)6-18-18.thumb.jpg.231582850283d12c40e923ab44e4e339.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie

37 minutes ago, orion25 said:

I'm sure everyone's noticed that star (actually stars) that's been hounding Jupiter. It's Zubenelgenubi and, upon closer inspection, Alpha 1 Librae. You can see the moons of Jupiter in this image as well. I took this wide-field shot using my Nikon D3200 on the night of 18 June of this nice composition of celestial objects:

2103441946_ASTRONOMY-JUPITERZUBENELGENUBI(CAPTIONS)6-18-18.thumb.jpg.231582850283d12c40e923ab44e4e339.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie

Great Reggie.  I was just thinking that tonight, what star it was that has been following Jupiter. Now I know 

22 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Great Reggie.  I was just thinking that tonight, what star it was that has been following Jupiter. Now I know 

I had been noticing it for months but I'd been so busy observing and imaging the planets that I hadn't taken the time to find out exactly which star it was. I knew Jove was in Libra, though. Then, through the scope I discover there were two stars there! A pretty cool pair (trio)!

Nice pic.

It really has been hounding Jupiter. With dots at 7 day intervals, this chart shows Jupiter as of 01/06/18 being so regretful about leaving Zubenelgenubi it decides to go back and re-introduce itself :) . (The dotted line lower right is Mercury's path getting in on the act).

Magnus

Jupiter_Reversal.JPG

7 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Nicely captured,  it's been around a while. 

Yeh, I've been noticing it for most of the year, but I was so focused on the planets that I didn't check to find out what star that was, lol. I kept saying to myself, "I'll snap a pic of that one of these nights" :)

Archived