Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Classics, 1.3x Barlow Element & Binoviewers

After reading numerous positive reviews I’m thinking of purchasing the 18mm & 10mm Baader Classic Orthos for use in a set of Binoviewers with our refractors. 

I recognise the 32mm Plossl isn’t as highly thought of as the Orthos, but I may add a couple of those to the Binoviewer case as well. 

I also noticed that if the Barlow element of a Baader Q Barlow is removed from the body of the Barlow and is screwed into the base of any of the Classic Range the effect is 1.3x rather than 2.25x. 

Now, here’s the question: If I was to purchase 2 Barlows and use the 1.3x elements in the base of each eyepiece would there be any negative effect of doing this with Binoviewers other than it being a tad fiddly ?

Could the inclusion of the extra Barlow elements degrade the quality of the views provided by the Classics in any way ?

The reason for considering this is that if I did so, it could, theoretically, give me eyepiece pairs at 32mm, 24.6mm, 18mm, 13.8mm, 10mm and 7.7mm (although I know the last focal length isn’t advised in Binoviewers). 

(To get the viewers to focus the Baader 1.7 or 2.6 GPC is used in a T2 Prism together with a quick change connection.)

Thanks in advance for any shared anecdotal experiences or thoughts...

I've used the Q-Turret 2.25x barlow with Baader Classics and with other eyepieces and it's a pretty good barlow in both scenarios. I currently use it with a 7.2mm-21.5mm zoom and the planetary results are really good considering the relatively low cost of these items. Using the barlow element screwed directly into the barrel of the Classic eyepieces produces good results too as far as I recall when I reviewed the Baader Classic set.

If you don't mind the fiddling around these combinations will work pretty well :smiley:

My caveat is that I've not binoviewed with them and I've not used them with a GPC in the train.

Thank you @John. It was your review and thoughts that first sowed the seed... It was a natural extension of seeing how you reviewed them "cyclops" style, to wondering whether the same would be true for Binoviewing...

I appreciate your caveat and will probably give it a go if you can't see any glaring and fundamental flaw in the plan !! :thumbsup:

Archived