Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter: NEB happenings

John

I've been getting a few glimpses of Jupiter over the past half hour in what is a mostly cloudy sky. When the giant has shown it's face, apart from a nice GRS transit in progress, I've been fascinated by the activity showing along both the N and S edges of the N equatorial belt. A couple of massive and very dark festoon type things on the S edge plus all sorts of knots, ripples, bays etc. Very interesting :smiley:

The SEB is rather dull by comparison, apart from providing a nesting place for the GRS.

Wish the clouds would give way to some more clear patches and let me have a longer look :rolleyes2:

I have just come in from first light with the Vixen ED103S John and observed the same on Jupiter,
quite a decent pair of dark festoons as you say, quite prominent.

Love my new scope by the way, I cannot stop grinning,
but I had to come in its early work in the morning.

1 hour ago, John said:

I've been getting a few glimpses of Jupiter over the past half hour in what is a mostly cloudy sky. When the giant has shown it's face, apart from a nice GRS transit in progress, I've been fascinated by the activity showing along both the N and S edges of the N equatorial belt. A couple of massive and very dark festoon type things on the S edge plus all sorts of knots, ripples, bays etc. Very interesting :smiley:

The SEB is rather dull by comparison, apart from providing a nesting place for the GRS.

Wish the clouds would give way to some more clear patches and let me have a longer look :rolleyes2:

5 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I have just come in from first light with the Vixen ED103S John and observed the same on Jupiter,
quite a decent pair of dark festoons as you say, quite prominent.

Love my new scope by the way, I cannot stop grinning,
but I had to come in its early work in the morning.

This evening has been first light for the FC100DC, and I too have seen this detail on Jupiter. 

1 hour ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

What scope are you using. Hubble? Or just the Hale? :D 

With my new refractor I could just about make out the separation between the equatorial belts and GRS.

John

Just the ED120 John - not big enough even to be a finder on the Hale :smiley:

7 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Was the GRS at about 7 o'clock? (in a correct image)

If so I fancy I glimpsed it today.

Close - about 8 o'clock, refractor view about an hour ago. Just gone off the disk now.

I saw the two dark bits on the northern equatorial belt that were hanging out of the southern edge of it. I thought I saw the grs but  could not confirm it in sky safari so assumed I was seeing something else. But when I read this I double checked and I did see it, I just checked the wrong limb on sky safari because I (unusually)  had a mirror diagonal swapping left for right.

23 minutes ago, John said:

Close - about 8 o'clock, refractor view about an hour ago. Just gone off the disk now.

My brain confused  -I meant about 4 o clock with teh raci, so that would be 8 in a frac.

Looks like I may have seen it with the Mak but not with the little frac.

26 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My brain confused  -I meant about 4 o clock with teh raci, so that would be 8 in a frac.

Looks like I may have seen it with the Mak but not with the little frac.

Makes sense. I could never see the GRS convincingly with my old Tasco 60mm frac but I got it the other night with the TV Ranger 70mm ED. Better coatings and glass in the TV of course. 

Recent views of Jupiter have been fantastic. I called my wife out to see the GRS this evening. She had no trouble seeing it which was her first time. A really distinct orange colour compared to the rest of the planet. I’ve been enjoying those two festoons too. I feel like they may be getting bigger. I seemed to be able to follow them further towards the centre of the planet compared to other sightings. 

I have been viewing Jupiter for most of this week but cannot get much more detail over some colour banding - even then it is hard to make.

I know that conditions here are not ideal - whichever way I face I am looking over roads or houses and Jupiter is low anyway, but I was hoping for more from my Mak.  Can I ask what sort of magnification you guys are working with to see such detail?  I tend to find anything over about 160x (12mm EP in my scope) and the view breaks down and details go fuzzy.

On 19/06/2018 at 17:49, Paz said:

p.s. here was my attempt to photograph taking some measurements of the size of Jupiter and the angles to the three nearest moons with the mc-127

20180619_225128_HDR.thumb.jpg.73c36a3e3205e2054a20451383d75d4a.jpg

Where did you get your measuring EP ? I knew they made them but who and what exactly are they called ? Kinda a senior moment right now :( 

1 hour ago, cv01jw said:

I have been viewing Jupiter for most of this week but cannot get much more detail over some colour banding - even then it is hard to make.

I know that conditions here are not ideal - whichever way I face I am looking over roads or houses and Jupiter is low anyway, but I was hoping for more from my Mak.  Can I ask what sort of magnification you guys are working with to see such detail?  I tend to find anything over about 160x (12mm EP in my scope) and the view breaks down and details go fuzzy.

My views are over houses, roads a school and a police HQ generally.

I'm finding 130x - 180x is working well with my refractors from 100mm to 130mm. Your 127mm mak should do well on Jupiter at 160x ?

I've been using an OpticStar 90s Gold, 90mm f/8.8 (800mm) refractor so far, the best eyepiece I've got for Jupiter is a 1.25" 6mm wide angle, so 133x but a good field of view. For imaging it , I've been using an AS120 without Barlow on minimum res, but I'm planning to try it out with a 2x Barlow sometime. 

This is the best result I got so far, and it's essentially the same view as I can see visually, although little bit more contrast. The 90s Gold is a beautiful telescope! :) False colour really isn't bad, either.

Rep.jpg.77236d71499bebac2c51108faad3c44c.jpg

John

47 minutes ago, celestron8g8 said:

Thanks !! Now i remember why I don’t have one :( , cost is heavy in USD . However back in 2003 i could gave got one for less than $100.00 USD . 

Meade do one but don't know if it's any "cheaper".

Dave

21 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Meade do one but don't know if it's any "cheaper".

Dave

Just found one place under $100.00 . Not that I actually need one now since full retirement is in the future but it would be neat to have it in my collection ! 

https://www.telescope.com/12mm-Meade-Series-4000-MA-125-Illum-Astrometric-Eyepiece/p/113822.uts

11 hours ago, John said:

My views are over houses, roads a school and a police HQ generally.

I'm finding 130x - 180x is working well with my refractors from 100mm to 130mm. Your 127mm mak should do well on Jupiter at 160x ?

Thanks - I stayed out later than normal last night (for me 11 is late as I need to be reasonably awake at work) and the view was better.  I also think my eyes are getting better at seeing things as I spend more time with the scope.   I saw more banding last night and could see the GRS - was pretty chuffed with that.  My best view was using a 12mm BST eyepiece giving a mag of 158x.  I tried my new 18mm ortho and the view was about the same, albeit smaller.

11 hours ago, JohnSadlerAstro said:

I've been using an OpticStar 90s Gold, 90mm f/8.8 (800mm) refractor so far, the best eyepiece I've got for Jupiter is a 1.25" 6mm wide angle, so 133x but a good field of view. For imaging it , I've been using an AS120 without Barlow on minimum res, but I'm planning to try it out with a 2x Barlow sometime. 

This is the best result I got so far, and it's essentially the same view as I can see visually, although little bit more contrast. The 90s Gold is a beautiful telescope! :) False colour really isn't bad, either.

Rep.jpg.77236d71499bebac2c51108faad3c44c.jpg

John

That pic is excellent - certainly shows more detail than I saw last night.  I think I need practice, which means more time in the shed / at the scope :)

Archived