Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which 2” H-alpha filter based on experiences?

tooth_dr

I’m done reading threads and reviews and comparing prices! My head hurts. I would really like some real life advice.

I think I can only absorb one filter purchase (possibly 2) for the next season.

Based on my kit - ED80 and Atik 383L mono - is there any benefit going for the ‘expensive’ filters?

Im currently considering a Baader filter either 7nm or 3.5nm. I’m aware of the Nii argument, I don’t live in a light polluted area, and my mount can handle long exposures at the short focal length.

I need this to tie in with purchase of an EFW down the line too, and an L filter (these are cheap compared to Ha)

Im not in a position to a buy 2” Astrodon 3nm or 5nm (can you even get mounted 2” filters?)

Thanks in advance.

Just now, Davey-T said:

Nothing wrong with Baader 7nm, a 36mm unmounted one will be needed with a separate filter wheel.

Dave

I was thinking of screwing a 2” onto the end of the this which I already have, but it might be cheaper to buy a filter wheel and the smaller filters?

adapter_skywatcher_focal_reducer.JPG

I used to use 36mm unmounted Baader filters with a starlight xpress filter wheel and never had any issues. 

You could always buy a Baader 2"  mounted Ha filter then sell it at a later date when funds allow for a filter wheel and full set of filters.

I'd also keep my eyes open on the 2nd hand market.

1 hour ago, geordie85 said:

I used to use 36mm unmounted Baader filters with a starlight xpress filter wheel and never had any issues. 

You could always buy a Baader 2"  mounted Ha filter then sell it at a later date when funds allow for a filter wheel and full set of filters.

I'd also keep my eyes open on the 2nd hand market.

Thanks. I’m scouting out for a secondhand wheel but I agree buying a single filter would get me started. 

16 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I was thinking of screwing a 2” onto the end of the this which I already have, but it might be cheaper to buy a filter wheel and the smaller filters?

adapter_skywatcher_focal_reducer.JPG

That's exacty what I do, 7nm Baader Ha screwed onto reducer nosepiece. I'm very happy with the results, but I have no plans for more 2" filters so cost was not considered to the same degree.

I have the Baader 7nm 2" and have had no problems with it.  initially used it screwed onto my coma corrector and then moved it into a SX EFW along with RBGL filters and had no issues there......well I say no issues.  What I forget to take into account was the fact that the filter adds to the backfocus length, which I did not have to compensate for when it was screwed to the front of the coma corrector.  Am now back to using it without the filter wheel as am just looking to do some Ha with my CCD for now.  All other imaging will be done with my D7100.

Thanks guys.  I'm not much closer to deciding!  If I do buy just one filter it would be a 2" Ha filter, I think I might go for the 3.5nm one, provided it allows imaging during the brighter moon phases?

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks guys.  I'm not much closer to deciding!  If I do buy just one filter it would be a 2" Ha filter, I think I might go for the 3.5nm one, provided it allows imaging during the brighter moon phases?

It will, I save my 7nm one for moonlit nights. Hoping to use it tomorrow, I want 10 minute ha subs of M57.

31 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It will, I save my 7nm one for moonlit nights. Hoping to use it tomorrow, I want 10 minute ha subs of M57.

It might be possible to get away with 1.25” filters after reading some SGL threads, if operating at F6 or above.

18 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

It might be possible to get away with 1.25” filters after reading some SGL threads, if operating at F6 or above.

I would not want to be limited to F6 and above if it was me. 

5 hours ago, newbie alert said:

I'm looking at either the 2 inch 3.5nm or 1.25 7nm myself Adam.. I have a 12nm at the moment which is pants.. it be nice to go Astrodon or chroma but just too much for me..

Let us know how you get on 

Yes they are dear ? the 2” 3.5nm is tempting but I wonder does it have the credentials to stack up. 

5 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Yes they are dear ? the 2” 3.5nm is tempting but I wonder does it have the credentials to stack up. 

I'm thinking as it's a 2 inch, and for me would have to go on the nosecone and thinking of halos as it would be quite far from the camera sensor..id prefer a 3.5 but think a 7nm might be for  me for now...

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Last night, under light polluted skies, just after 'moonset'. 8 x 500s using modded & cooled canon 450D and 2" 7nm Baader filter.

Does the job for me, make up your own mind if it will do the job for you.

555288780_NGC7000Astra.thumb.png.26a4bcd740503a069b09e7e336d1ca04.png

Cooling makes a massive difference to the noise level..looks very clean

Archived