Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Teamviewer

groberts

I've seen a few members here using and praising the use if Teamviewer for computer mount and camera control.  I therefore recently downloaded V13 and got it working via WiFi between two computers but cannot make it work via a non-WiFi ethernet LAN cable between the same two computers, which is really what I want it for.

• Should it work this way + if so what might I be doing wrong?
  • Alternatively is there alternative free software that will do the job?   

Thanks, Graham

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like Sara I use and prefer RDP, but you do need the Pro version of W10 for this.  Teamviewer from memory can run over LAN but on the receiving machine (host) you need to enable LAN connections.  I think it is (or was) under extras - General - Incoming LAN Connections, or whatever the latest menu for this is.  Basically if you don't enable this on the host it will be looking for an externally IP and ID.

RDP is better though, and very stable.

If you dont have W10 but use google chrome browser try Chrome remote desktop, its an addon extension, works flawless...well it has for me anyhow ?, i connect to the main computer using whatever device to hand that runs google chrome

3 minutes ago, wayne11 said:

If you dont have W10 but use google chrome browser try Chrome remote desktop, its an addon extension, works flawless...well it has for me anyhow ?, i connect to the main computer using whatever device to hand that runs google chrome

It may have changed but I think that whilst it is P2P it still authenticates through Google's servers, so needs the internet so can't run just via the LAN? This may have changed on later versions, but that's how it used to work I think.

49 minutes ago, RayD said:

It may have changed but I think that whilst it is P2P it still authenticates through Google's servers, so needs the internet so can't run just via the LAN? This may have changed on later versions, but that's how it used to work I think.

I think your correct Ray, totally misread Grahams original post...sorry 

10 minutes ago, wayne11 said:

I think your correct Ray, totally misread Grahams original post...sorry 

No don't apologise, Wayne.  It's great to have new ideas thrown in the pot, it's just a shame there aren't that many that will work via LAN only.

1 hour ago, RayD said:

Like Sara I use and prefer RDP, but you do need the Pro version of W10 for this. 

I have Win 10 Home (version 1803) not W10 Pro & it includes the  Windows Remote Desktop app

24 minutes ago, lenscap said:

I have Win 10 Home (version 1803) not W10 Pro & it includes the  Windows Remote Desktop app

Yes it will include the app but not the ability to be the host i.e. you can use it to log on to other machines, but you can't use it as the machine to be logged on to.

RealVNC server is free for personal use and worked with Windows tablets BEFORE RDP did - RDP had problems with rotation at one stage. You can connect to REALVNC server from a number of non Windows devices and Windows Vista,8,W10. If my memory is correct it will run as a service which is needed to make connecting easy.

I would use RealVNC viewer with RealVnc server but most viewers work you just get better options like click and paste,file transfer etc when you use the same manufactures software.

Watch out for the Firewall - try switching off the firewall until it work then unblock the ports - Windows Firewall does not always report this IME

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

RayD

If using Remote Desktop Program which is included with Win 10 Pro. Do both the linked PC`s have to be running W10 Pro or just the main machine?

Graham

Graham,

Only the host machine needs to run Pro.  Any other machine with the RDP app, which is free, can then connect to it, depending how you've set it up.

5 minutes ago, stash_old said:

RealVNC server is free for personal use and worked with Windows tablets BEFORE RDP did - RDP had problems with rotation at one stage. You can connect to REALVNC server from a number of non Windows devices and Windows Vista,8,W10. If my memory is correct it will run as a service which is needed to make connecting easy.

I would use RealVNC viewer with RealVnc server but most viewers work you just get better options like click and paste,file transfer etc when you use the same manufactures software.

Watch out for the Firewall - try switching off the firewall until it work then unblock the ports - Windows Firewall does not always report this IME

I used to use VNC years ago and it was great.  I believe they introduced an Enterprise version, which you have to pay for, and only this version would support direct connection, with any other versions being cloud access only.

It worked well back then.

1 minute ago, RayD said:

I believe they introduced an Enterprise version, which you have to pay for

Yes you are correct just checked out the latest offering - oh well all good things come to an end when money is involved. I guess TightVNC server will have gone the same way - else thats the alternative when working on ANY version of Windows OS

Just now, stash_old said:

Yes you are correct just checked out the latest offering - oh well all good things come to an end when money is involved. I guess TightVNC server will have gone the same way - else thats the alternative when working on ANY version of Windows OS

It's a huge shame as RealVNC worked brilliantly and I only stopped using it when they started charging for local connections.

Teamviewer seems to work pretty well on LAN, but they don't advertise the fact that it can, and the setting to enable this is pretty well tucked away, somewhat cheekily.

Thanks for the ideas.  Unfortunately I have W10 Home on one computer and W7 on the other, so looks like RDP won't work here. 

As indicated the cloud version of RealVNC is free for home use but not direct access.

Can you point me to the Teamviewer instructions on HowTo connect via direct LAN or is there any other software?

Graham    

1 minute ago, groberts said:

Thanks for the ideas.  Unfortunately I have W10 Home on one computer and W7 on the other, so looks like RDP won't work here. 

As indicated the cloud version of RealVNC is free for home use but not direct access.

Can you point me to the Teamviewer instructions on HowTo connect via direct LAN or is there any other software?

Graham    

There are some instructions here which should help.

1 hour ago, RayD said:

It's a huge shame as RealVNC worked brilliantly and I only stopped using it when they started charging for local connections.

Teamviewer seems to work pretty well on LAN, but they don't advertise the fact that it can, and the setting to enable this is pretty well tucked away, somewhat cheekily.

I think TightVNC is still available, I have it installed on my laptop in the observatory and on the desktop PC inside the house.  I've also got bVNC installed on an Android tablet and they all play nicely together on my local LAN.

6 hours ago, groberts said:

but cannot make it work via a non-WiFi ethernet LAN cable between the same two computers, which is really what I want it for.

What type o network cards are  used? Gigabit? Are you using a straight thru cable or cross? It's been a long time since I worked with networks, in that time it was needed to use a crossover cable to hook two pcs directly. 

Ps: I did a quick read and saw that if the network cards are Gigabit it works also with straight thru cables. 

I use TightVNC and love it, it is stable, and has a very small overhead, not only that but you can also download the App called Mocha VNC and this is brilliant and allows you total control via your phone, so you don't need to be in front of your PC, in fact I will often sit in with the family and have that on my phone just in case something goes amiss when imaging.

https://www.tightvnc.com/download.php

Word of warning: Those keys will work until MS terminate the Volume Licensing Agreement of whoever's illegally selling them... then they'll usually deactivate themselves.

18 hours ago, happy-kat said:

Remote Desktop can be used with W10 Home edition,  there are less functions then with the pro version but still may be enough depends what you want.

I run the mount, guiding and image capture on a PC by the scope but want to have a view and control of these factions form the house too just to keep an eye on things and if necessary make adjustments.  What can the RD in W10 Home do and how would I access it?

7 hours ago, Jkulin said:

I use TightVNC and love it, it is stable, and has a very small overhead, not only that but you can also download the App called Mocha VNC and this is brilliant and allows you total control via your phone, so you don't need to be in front of your PC, in fact I will often sit in with the family and have that on my phone just in case something goes amiss when imaging.

I'm liking the look of this + it's exactly what I want to do, except it's not clear if it works without WiFi which is what I need.  Is it easy to set up and use + which licence do you have? 

Archived