SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Baader Solar Filters for Binoculars

There's currently some Baader Solar filters for 50-70mm Binoculars in the classified section which have caught my attention. I've never done any solar viewing before. I have some Opticron 10x50's. Would this be a good introduction to solar viewing? Are there any safety concerns with these filters?

Any thoughts/advice appreciated :)

They're perfectly safe, so long as they are attached correctly and the film (like all solar film, is well cared for). For peace of mind I'd evaluate whether additional "securing" tapes or pads could increase security to keep them in situ... But, in truth, that shouldn't be necessary.

But your magnification is going to limit you somewhat. White light viewing is great fun. But I find I tend to be viewing at 50x or thereabouts with my 4" scope in the main. At that magnification I get a full disc that fills the eyepiece nicely and, depending on seeing, some good surface details when they are there. At 10x you will find you don't get to see as much.

@LukeSkywatcher bought some Lunt White Light binoculars from @Mark at Beaufort recently. I think his plan was to use the binoculars for a quick evaluation of activity, to ascertain whether it was worth getting the scope out for a proper look. But it might be worth asking him what he can see at lower magnification...

And, at the end of the day, it may be worth a punt. @DRT isn't asking much for them and is doing a "2 for the price of one" deal after all ?

I can confirm they are perfectly safe. I used them a few times with my Canon 5x50 IS Bins and they fitted very securely with just the rubber grip rods but they also include additional straps and velcro pads that you can use to strap them to the bins for added security.

Archived