Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ZWO ASI 178 for Lunar mainly?

Muzz

Hello everyone,

Can you please offer some advice on choosing a Lunar / Planetary camera.

I have a 9.25" SCT mounted on an AZEQ-6. For DSO's I will buy a ED80 towards the Autumn as it's to bright here at night to do DSO due to the sun not truly setting until it starts coming up again! (NE Scotland)

Basically in a nutshell I am thinking the ASI 178 would be good for Lunar wife field with ability to zoom in due to the 6MP but also mosaics.

The 224 would be fine I am sure just thinking the extra megapixels would be better.

I currently have a 5D Mark II Full Frame DSLR. I have tried Backyard EOS and it's better than just using the DSLR but Saturn was just a small smudge.

Appreciate any advice as always.

Clear Skies,

Murray 

On 19/06/2018 at 07:42, Muzz said:

Hello everyone,

Can you please offer some advice on choosing a Lunar / Planetary camera.

I have a 9.25" SCT mounted on an AZEQ-6. For DSO's I will buy a ED80 towards the Autumn as it's to bright here at night to do DSO due to the sun not truly setting until it starts coming up again! (NE Scotland)

Basically in a nutshell I am thinking the ASI 178 would be good for Lunar wife field with ability to zoom in due to the 6MP but also mosaics.

The 224 would be fine I am sure just thinking the extra megapixels would be better.

I currently have a 5D Mark II Full Frame DSLR. I have tried Backyard EOS and it's better than just using the DSLR but Saturn was just a small smudge.

Appreciate any advice as always.

Clear Skies,

Murray 

Yes it should work well but I would got for the 183 if I was looking for a lunar camera. 

• 1 month later...

I own the 178. It would make an excellent planetary camera thanks to the tiny pixels, but for the moon, you would need an extremely large mosaic to fit the full disk on.  To give you an idea of the image scale, on a 130 pds with 0.9x coma corrector (focal length of 585 mm), small galaxies appear very large:

https://www.astrobin.com/users/tinysmall/ 

Archived