Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The new Explore Scientific 52° line

N3ptune

The new Explore Scientific 52° ?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The new Explore Scientific 52°

• Is a good idea!
    • Is a bad idea...

I found the information about the new ES line a few days ago and I thought about starting a thread here. I found an interesting discussion on Cloudy Nights where they speculate about the new eyepieces. Some people are favourable, some people don't understand the idea.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/612590-explore-scientific-52°-eyepieces-new/

https://explorescientificusa.com/products/explore-scientific-52-waterproof-eyepiece-kit

https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/52-series-eyepieces/products/explore-scientific-52-3mm-waterproof-eyepiece#tab2

At first I was in the camp of people not understanding the commercial purpose or goal for that new 52d and right now, am still confused. To me it seems like the new 52d it's competing with the 62d series which has similar power, more FOV and it's not very expensive either.

62D_Family_2c0980a0-5544-435e-8ec9-6fea5

52D_Family_eae6c090-1470-46f4-95ff-b7c84

--> It's was said, the new 52d eyepiece might compete with the Plossl but with a better eye relief.

0CPznDD.png?1

If you people have some predictions, this is the place!

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

Maybe they'll have Brandon levels of polish and correction at the price of a BST Explorer?  Otherwise, I'm just not seeing it.

I notice that these new 52° eyepieces are labelled as having EMD coatings like the 92° series. As a 92° owner do you feel these new coatings offer a noticable improvement over the coatings JOC put on their older lines?

I'm interested. My EP case is all ES but I'm 1.25" only, with decreasing AFoV as FL increases. This leaves me without an ES 30mm option, until now. Why do I want to go longer than the 24/68°? Purely for larger exit pupils so FoV is not important.

Also, I was a fan of the SLV's. If this line can offer the same level of transmission, but control scatter a bit better, then I think they will sell very well at the prices listed above.

If the range combines superb optical performance (like the Vixen SLV's) and long eye relief and the price is reasonable then they seem a welcome new line. The eye relief seems a little shorter than you might have expected though and rather variable which which might not suit many who wear glasses to observe.

7 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I notice that these new 52° eyepieces are labelled as having EMD coatings like the 92° series. As a 92° owner do you feel these new coatings offer a noticable improvement over the coatings JOC put on their older lines?

I only have the 30mm ES-82 mushroom top and 40mm Meade SWA 5000 to compare to.  Contrast seems higher in the ES-92 line, but that could also be down to better baffling or polish as well.  What I can say is the ES-92 view like a Delos or XW as far as contrast and pinpoint focus across the field, for what it's worth.  Perhaps ES is finally using top of the line multicoatings.

I am wondering if these are aimed at spotting scopes more than astronomical telescopes. The "waterproof" labelling suggests that to me, in the same way as JIS etc for Pentax XW & Baader Morpheus ranges, which are aimed at terrestial scope users too. 

But 52 deg is bucking the WA trend, almost retro. IF however they offer ortho-like optical quality for high detail objects, the 52mm AFOV would be accepted by those used to that narrower figure. 

But on the surface, they look targeted to take sales from higher priced Plossls such as TV & compete with Vixen NPLs. 

I would like to see more barrel top pictures of the new ES 52 deg range. Vixen SLVs have an advertised 20mm eye relief, but the effective amount is restricted by height of its eye cup & eye lens-to-barrel rim recession. The old original Vixen LV range had better usable eye relief due to their folding down flat eye cups.

On 19/06/2018 at 00:53, Ricochet said:

EMD, or enhanced multilayer deposition, is just a fancy way to say "multi-coating".  JOC has been using these coatings since they became available.

On 19/06/2018 at 08:54, 25585 said:

I am wondering if these are aimed at spotting scopes more than astronomical telescopes. The "waterproof" labelling suggests that to me, in the same way as JIS etc for Pentax XW & Baader Morpheus ranges, which are aimed at terrestial scope users too. 

But 52 deg is bucking the WA trend, almost retro. IF however they offer ortho-like optical quality for high detail objects, the 52mm AFOV would be accepted by those used to that narrower figure. 

But on the surface, they look targeted to take sales from higher priced Plossls such as TV & compete with Vixen NPLs. 

I would like to see more barrel top pictures of the new ES 52 deg range. Vixen SLVs have an advertised 20mm eye relief, but the effective amount is restricted by height of its eye cup & eye lens-to-barrel rim recession. The old original Vixen LV range had better usable eye relief due to their folding down flat eye cups.

focal length and eye relief from the lens:

3.0 15.0
4.5 15.0
6.5 15.9
10.0 16.6
15.0 16.3
20.0 15.0
25.0 16.4
30.0 19.9

2 hours ago, Don Pensack said:

EMD, or enhanced multilayer deposition, is just a fancy way to say "multi-coating".  JOC has been using these coatings since they became available.

Thanks, Don, Looking back at the descriptions for older eyepiece lines I see that you're right, it just wasn't stamped onto the eyepiece. 

• 7 months later...
5 hours ago, DS24 said:

I'd get the Orion ef series over this line.

If I was going to buy that line of eyepieces, I'd get the 365astronomy Andromeda Extra Flat version for a lot less money in the UK or the BST Flat Field version from Agena Astro in the US.

The ES-52 line may make more sense at the shorter focal lengths since they have good eye relief and reviews seem to praise their exceptional glass polish.  Of course, you'd have to weigh them against buying used Vixen LV/NLV/SLV eyepieces for similar money.

Archived