SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mosquitoes

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wearing double pants, double sweaters,  a tight pair of hunting gloves with a spray of OFF over the top of each hands. For the head I have a custom made double layer bug net with a fishing hat on top of it (I have a hole in the net to look at the eyepiece of course...

It's hot but very effective.  I don't tolerate mosquitoes.. for me it's the full body armor.

We get the smaller cousins. Their overlords battleplan is to use mass attack methods. The midgie scum can be dissuaded with the original formula of skin so soft. Their 'flavoured' varieties don't work for me. Mind you, when 12 billion of the swine decent, there's damn all you can do, even if you've bathed in product !

10 hours ago, N3ptune said:

Wearing double pants, double sweaters,  a tight pair of hunting gloves with a spray of OFF over the top of each hands. For the head I have a custom made double layer bug net with a fishing hat on top of it (I have a hole in the net to look at the eyepiece of course...

It's hot but very effective.  I don't tolerate mosquitoes.. for me it's the full body armor.

Let me guess, you also go fishing. ;)

Ahh I didn't fish very much in the last years.  But if I am to stand still for 3 hours  looking at the eyepiece and sketching.. I have to be comfortable and well protected against the mosquitoes so I can concentrate on astronomy only.

When I sketch they land on my sheet of paper.. at some point I can push them around with the tip of my pencil.

Me it's tolerance zero, with my setup, I am protected against at least 95% of the attacks, perhaps even more then that, the hours will pass quietly like that.

?

As above, 'Smidge that midge'. First line of defence is a mosquito head net, thin gloves, tightly hugging clothing and they are I believe attracted more to black clothing for some reason. If aimed at stargazing, in which being stationary best to find a location that can at least attract some night breezes. A couple of summers ago on holiday on the Isle of Mull (Scotland) I had an attempt to venture some place to use the binoculars for an hour.  Covered with midge net, spray etc, it was hardly worth it to be honest, the midges were just horrible. I happened to had watched a bit of that England, Tunisia game at Volgograd last night, apparently billions peak season there, felt like itching just watching the TV screen. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been attacked on holiday in Rep. Of Ireland. Had to get back into my car then exterminate the bloodsuckers that got in as well. For bites medical alcohol gel stops the itch. 

Horse flies are another H G Wells type nightmare insect.

7 hours ago, 25585 said:

Been attacked on holiday in Rep. Of Ireland. Had to get back into my car then exterminate the bloodsuckers that got in as well. For bites medical alcohol gel stops the itch. 

Horse flies are another H G Wells type nightmare insect.

The midge and Mossie count is stupidily high This year.

On ‎11‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 20:58, LukeSkywatcher said:

Im O negative blood type. I can donate to any other blood type, but me personally can only ever get O negative.

Mossies hate my blood type and dont bother me.

How do mozzies know your blood type?

Living in Texas with lots of mosquitos I’ve finally learned don’t shower and put on fresh deod or after shave ir any Cologne . I work inside so not outside where it’s hot and sweaty so i take showers every morning for a fresh day start . I don’t get sweaty or dirty during the day . Mosquitos are attracted to nice sweet smells . If you must shower or bathe before observing use orderless deod but nothing else . I know they also make bodywash that is orderless . So fight the mosquitos with Centrenelli plants or candles or bath orderless products . Oh BTW that sweet lemon or flower blossom smelling clothes detergents you use need to be hung outside all day before use or washed in plain water no soap if observing . Oh and shampoo ....., they make that in orderless too ;)  !  

On 19/06/2018 at 18:14, Beulah said:

Smidge - midge season is in full flow but it also repels mozzies, ticks and horseflies and is safer than DEET. We've used it for several years now. 

https://www.smidgeup.com/

The guy who's working on our house asked to borrow a bottle and we haven't had it back yet.  :D

Not seen this before and shall definitely give it a go as I (well my ankles to be precise) am a Horsefly feeding heaven it seems!

Done, ordered from Amazon and will be here tomorrow.  I like the idea of the wipes too as ideal to keep in the golf bag, so ordered some of them too.   If this works it will be life changing for my ankles!

On 19/06/2018 at 01:31, N3ptune said:

I don't tolerate mosquitoes.. for me it's the full body armor

I sympathise, I'm one of those souls that mozzies just love, bites bring me out in big lumps that seems to itch for a week. I've tried most repellents and most work to some extent. I've used powerful stuff with deet  in and it works but it almost puts my lights out as well so I tend to stick with citronella or similar based repellents. Several people have recommended the Avon lemon spray so I must give it a try.

Flak! ...Oop's ,err! had Ron Goodwin's intro of 633 Sqaudron come to mind.

Seriously... I had an injection against malaria (plus a few others) and packed some anti-mosquito/insect repellant when I went to BG ?? in 1999. 

7 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

How do mozzies know your blood type?

Apparently they can smell it before they taste, or if they do bite...........they hate it and go elsewhere with no ill effect to you. 

I saw this on a show on BBC4 (the only tv channel worth watching after 9pm).

Now the weather has cooled down a bit, the Mozzie and Gnat levels have dropped, but have been replaced by Greenfly.

Archived