Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_open_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.6f22fafea012ea83480eb785879332c2.jpg

Newb here. I have settled on my first telescope being the 4SE or 6SE and I have a Sony Alpha 300 DSLR I would like to be able to connect to play around with AP. I am barely starting to grasp the terminology involved with telescopes in general but it seems connecting a camera to a telescope is a whole different ball game.

It seems as though the 4SE has a separate eyepiece and camera attachment? Looks like you can just flip a knob to swap between the viewer and camera? Whereas the 6SE it appears that you have to remove the whole eyepiece to connect the camera. After reading some reviews everyone says they immediately wanted a more powerful telescope so I am thinking the 6SE may be the way to go but I really don't like the idea of having to swap back and forth by removing the eyepiece, is there an after-market accessory that would allow it to work more like the 4SE (flip a switch from viewer to camera and back)?

And I guess my other question is are the optics really that much better on the 6SE that it would be worth the hassle when connecting the camera? I see that the light gathering capability and magnification are better but how perceivable is that difference? My goal is to do some moon viewing but it would be great to see some cool deep space objects too. +

One final thought, how much does the auto star tracking feature help or hurt the image quality? I mean on a 20 second+ exposure the object is going to move some amount, is the Nexstar tracking system really able to keep the object that precisely still in the optics? Or should I just expect to get blurry spots of light when photographing deep space objects?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

You could get a flip mirror diagonal to fit into the 6SE scope so you could have the camera on the lower straight through part of the flip mirror, and use the upper one for your EP. You would need another adapter to allow you to fit it into the scope too.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/vixen-flip-mirror.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-sct-to-2-inch-adapter.html

Edited by Knighty2112

Welcome Jason

The 6SE shares the same mount as the 8SE, the 4SE has a lower mount version.

Tracking will be in tiny left right up down movements which keeps the object in the field of view but does not take account of the Earth's rotation.

Planets are often imaged taking videos and then software takes the best frames and combines to make a final image. Here is doesn't matter so much that the tracking is not equatorial.

Deep Space Objects you need longer exposures to capture the objects, this is when the limitations of an alt az tracking mount show as push the exposure length too far and you get star sneering as the Earth rotates. The longer the telescope's focal length the sooner this rotation becomes evident in images. Imaging can be done but with working within the limitations of the mount. A camera and lens is more forgiving as shorter focal length and exposure length can range from seconds to say 30-45 seconds.

• Like 1

I started with a Nextstar 4SE. I had a camera with adapter connected to the straight through and a lens on the upper position. I made an extension to ensure that the lens was in focus when the camera was in focus. It got me started.

I got some results for Saturn and Jupiter but it wasn't any good for deep sky objects. I haven't tried any guiding with it. The tracking is fine for viewing but wont be much good for long exposures.

Here is my advise. First read the excellent book Making Every Photon Count. Then read it again.

You need to decide what you want to photograph. Planets require different techniques to deep sky objects.

Be prepared to spend time and money.

Good luck

• Like 2

This thread is about imaging with a Non Equatorial mount. link here a very long thread. It isn't necessarily impossible but does have limitations. The wedge might be looked at but how successful that is I can't comment.

I wouldn't buy these instruments for deep sky imaging. Even on an equatorial wedge they are a poor idea for many reasons. I second the advice to read Making Every Photon Count, available from FLO, the site sponsors.

The mount is the most important part of a deep sky imaging setup. 

Olly

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will definitely check out that book. Did not know the flip mirror diagonals existed that's great! I'm not surprised to hear these aren't great for deep space viewing, knowing that all those amazing deep space shots were probably taken by Hubble outside the atmosphere I figured I shouldn't expect much unless I'm willing to pay $2000+. From my experience with rifle scopes, price goes up exponentially with quality and capability.

My motivation for getting a telescope was my parents got me one when I was very young. I remember it being an amazing experience and I think it was only a 50 power.

If going down the AP route I'd grab a 80mm frac, neq5 mount setup..sct are better on planets..and Az mounts aren't really suited to AP.. if funds are the issue as they are in most cases then a 60-70mm frac on a star adventurer is still a better option in my mind..or purchase the S.A. first..use it with your camera and purchase the scope at a later date when you are sure that' the direction you want to go..

• Like 1

Hi @Jason126 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Should you go down the C6/SCT route, you may need to consider purchasing the Celestron focal reducer/field flattener. They turn an F10 'scope into an F6.3 one. The photo below shows mine attached to my 're-modded' ETX105. 

PIC025.JPG.cefae6dd0a831f1a44b582b1544d904c.JPG 

BTW... the ETX105 is F14.

All of the Se range are Alt-Az, so not really suited to imaging apart from planets and the Moon.

I'd personally go for the 6Se out of both, or do more research and get an 8" scope.

Jason

Welcome from land down under

Personally I would go for a Skywatcher EQ mount with an ED80

Nice all round unit, and especially when comes to AP, and can also get a glass filter for solar viewing, as per attached pic

There is also a new Wi-Fi unit for the EQ mounts, which operates from an APP on your mobile or tablet

Recently acquired, and takes the guess work out of programming the mount

Another advantage of the APP, can just point your mobile device, where you want to observe or image, and the mount goes there

John

Skywatcher ED80.jpg

SynScan Wi-Fi adapter.jpg..jpg

Screenshot SynScan APP.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jambouk
      Is it possible to get an extension lead for the handset of the Celestron Advanced GT mount? 
      Thanks
      James

• By astrosathya
      Hi everyone,
      I recently got myself a GSO 6" f/4 astrograph, but seems like the secondary mirror was quite off. I then tried collimation using Astro Baby's tutorials, and others around the net. I've had a few Nets during the past 20 years, but this one seems to be a bit of a pain to get right. The secondary holder is a bit stiff. Anyone here done any mods for the scope and have reasonably good performance? I'be attached an image with Mire De Collimation circles. Image shows the reflection of primary, followed by the edge of secondary and followed by the grey card placed behind the secondary, which ends with the focuser tube. Any help will be appreciated.
      Edit: If I were to move the secondary towards 2'o'clock position, could it solve the problem?

• By Hiddenpalm
      So I'm trying to accessorize [flicks hair], and according to a review of the Nexstar 8SE (which I just got yesterday), the guy and a bunch of other reviewers recommend the Celestron SkySync GPS. From what I understand this device tells your GoTo your coordinates, speeding up the time it takes to align your telescope. Its over $100 US dollars. And it can take up to 10 minutes to locate your coordinates, date and time.

If you're planning a trip or just out on your yard/local park, this can come in handy. But if all it does is give your GoTo your coordinates why can't you simply go to Astronomy.Tools (now known to me thanks to StargazersLounge) and look up the coordinates before hand? Wouldn't it be faster to type in your coordinates than to wait 5-10 minutes for SkySync to work?

I'm bringing this here wondering if I'm missing something? Does SkySync do something else besides give your coordinates? After it gives your coordinates, do you still need it for the rest of the night? Are its coordinates more precise? And if so, does that in any way change your experience as a casual viewer or a hardcore professional astrophotographer? How so? And is it true that it can not work at the same time with the Skyportal Wifi module? 🤔

The thoughts and insights of this awesome community would be greatly appreciated.
    • By stevebb
      Having recently replaced my astrophotography camera, I now have the old one up for sale on an astro site. However, doesn't hurt advertising it here

Here is an astro modified Canon Rebel xsi which is the Canon 450D equivalent. It is "good" condition and fully working order but does have some light scratches to the rear screen. I have tried to photograph these but they do not show up when the camera is switched on
      Shutter count is 3860 which is extremely low.
      Also included are the following :
      Astronomik CLS clip filter which really is fantastic and makes a huge difference. It also adds additional dust protection.
      Battery system / dc coupler - connects to a figure of 8 lead (IEC C7 Power Lead) - I might have one spare if deemed absolutely necessary. This device provides permanent power to the camera for those long nights - brilliant !
      3 batteries and multi-voltage charger (mains / 12volt / 24volt)
      I do not have the original box but it can be posted to UK address.
      I would prefer collection (near Filey, North Yorkshire) but willing to post if you cover Paypal fees.
      I might have a couple more batteries in other camera bags !!
      Reason for sale is purchase of an astro modified Sony A7S with canon lens adaptor.
      Including a few photos taken with this camera. Two of these images were placed 1st and 3rd in two separate Astrofest competitions in Yorkshire (York and Hull).

• By erseavetir
      Hello all! My father lives in Istanbul and he has the Gskyer AZ70700 Refractor Telescope. He has been really enjoying it as you can see from the photos I've uploaded in the Amazon review I've left for this item (Btw, I've just realized that this review is now the most helpful/liked review on this item which is cool):
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R35LBDSUABUUAU/
      My father is OBSESSED with looking at the moon's craters and he had this telescope for almost a year now and he probably never skipped a day at looking at the moon as long as the moon was visible. I've made the post below on this forum before asking for suggestions on what upgraded equipments I should buy for his telescope:
      And after the suggestions and more research, I've bought these items:
      1) Celestron 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece (1.25")
      2) Celestron 90° Star Diagonal (1.25")
      3) SVBONY 1.25" Barlow Lens 2x Multi Coated T Adapter
      4) Orion 05598 1.25-Inch 25 Percent Transmission Moon Filter (Black)
      Now basically, my father's only wish in this life is to be able to zoom at the moon more and see the craters of the moon more clearly while being zoomed more. Right now, when he uses the 2x Adapter with 8mm eyepiece, things get blurry but he keeps trying to zoom more some nights and tells me that he is hoping one day it won't look as blurry on that amount of zoom I showed him a youtube video of the moon's craters zoomed in with a better telescope once and he was basically shocked and almost didn't believe me that that was possible with better telescopes though I am not sure how bigger/better/expensive those telescopes would be.
      Now my father had an open heart surgery recently but he is OK now and I really want him to experience using a better telescope while he can and me being a good son, I want to buy him a better telescope now as I have a bit extra money to spend. I bought the telescope he is using now for 130$ (btw, this telescope had 5 star average reviews on Amazon at the time of my purchase which is why I bought it but I wish I knew about this forum before and asked you guys before buying that one although my father still loved the telescope a lot so I don't have many regrets about it).  I was wondering if there are better budget telescopes that are around 180-300$ that can be at least a bit better than his current telescope when looking at the moon's craters while being zoomed more with better/clearer visuals. Btw, because of the light pollution in Istanbul Turkey, only the Moon, Saturn and some big stars are visible in the sky but my father only cares about the Moon craters anyway. It's also important for me that the telescope I'll buy will support 1.25" eyepiece that my father has.
      After I've read many Top 10 articles online, the Celestron PowerSeeker 127EQ seems like a good budget option for me and I hear that because it has 1000 mm Focal Length, it's a good option for looking at the moon? I wouldn't know much about that thought which is why I wanted to get you guy's opinion on this. I've also seen that this telescope is being sold in Turkish websites (such as n11, hepsiburada, gittigidiyor etc.) which would mean I wouldn't pay anything for shipment to Istanbul and that he would have the option to return it in 14 days with a full refund if he doesn't like it. However, if you guys think that this telescope wouldn't really differ much from the telescope he has now when it comes to looking at moon's craters zoomed in, or that there are better telescopes than this 127EQ that is not too much more expensive than 127EQ but better at looking at moon's craters zoomed in and still beginner/mid-level friendly when it comes to looking at the moon, then please let me know! I'd really appreciate any input on this before I make my purchase. Thank you in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.