PayPal and Facebook ?

Davey-T

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I wouldn't login to paypal via facebook - I like to keep my paypal login completely separate. I somehow wouldn't trust fb with things I want to keep secure. I have a vague memory of paypal offering/suggesting login via fb but I'd always say 'no' :) 

Similarly I hate how Amazon is always trying to trick me into signing up for Prime - grrr!

Louise

as far as I am aware facebook has signed up with paypal so you can send money easily? how easy I do not know maybe fire off an email to ioptron for an explanation found this on paypal site

the highlighted text in blue hyperlinks dont work as I copied and paste but if you google "how do I unlink paypal from facebook" that will offer some replys

How do I unlink PayPal from Facebook?

There are two ways that your PayPal account may be linked to Facebook, through a billing agreement, or through receipt notifications.You can unlink your account at any time by cancelling your billing agreement, or turning off your receipt notifications.

46 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

as far as I am aware facebook has signed up with paypal so you can send money easily? how easy I do not know maybe fire off an email to ioptron for an explanation found this on paypal site

the highlighted text in blue hyperlinks dont work as I copied and paste but if you google "how do I unlink paypal from facebook" that will offer some replys

How do I unlink PayPal from Facebook?

There are two ways that your PayPal account may be linked to Facebook, through a billing agreement, or through receipt notifications.You can unlink your account at any time by cancelling your billing agreement, or turning off your receipt notifications.

Thanks for that, I've unlinked from Facebook as they appear to think I wanted it permanently linked, this wasn't made clear from their request I thought they just wanted to do it once, sneaky gits.

Dave

Also you may have to beware of higher import taxes from USA due to the higher levies by The US government. (sorry, I don't mean to make this political, just a warning.  A recent purchase from a friend resulted in import charges which were more than the cost of the item plus a charge from the GPO for handling fees.  Worked out almost twice as expensive than if she had travelled to the nearest retailer some 60 miles away and brought it from there at the full price)

1 minute ago, oobydooby said:

Also you may have to beware of higher import taxes from USA due to the higher levies by The US government. (sorry, I don't mean to make this political, just a warning.  A recent purchase from a friend resulted in import charges which were more than the cost of the item plus a charge from the GPO for handling fees.  Worked out almost twice as expensive than if she had travelled to the nearest retailer some 60 miles away and brought it from there at the full price)

It only cost $30.0 so hopefully won't be too much import duty, only bought it from USA  as it's the only place that sells it.

You can dispute the customs charges but you have to pay them first, I have in the past and got them greatly reduced, just a miscalculation they claimed, took 3 months to get a refund and no apology.

Dave

I have never been asked to use Facebook to pay by PayPal and I use PayPal to pay for many things and not just from ebay.  Quick, convenient and safe.

1 hour ago, oobydooby said:

I have already learned this the hard way! For some eye pieces though, only the US seems to have them around still. 

What is more frustrating however are sellers who will not ship outside the US, even for surcharges. 

19 minutes ago, Gina said:

I have never been asked to use Facebook to pay by PayPal and I use PayPal to pay for many things and not just from ebay.  Quick, convenient and safe.

I think it was a combination of being the USA and iOptron, first time it's happened to me, hopefully the last.

Dave

26 minutes ago, Gina said:

Except when they refuse to pass on the money. Used a pp account ONCE for an SGL sale. Never again.

Many people have, but I can only judge them on my personal experience, which was that they said they were not going to release the money to me and it took a complaint being raised by the person who had sent the money (because I wasn't going to send the scope until I had got it!) to get it sorted out. I don't need that sort of hassle in my life and I don't consider it reasonable to inflict that sort of hassle on other members who transact with me on SGL either.

It's an oauth2 token shared between the two which allows PayPal to send you transaction receipt via messenger, as well as quick login to PP via FB, and also allows you to use PP with FB Marketplace... and it's all _optional_. There's zero risk from linking your PayPal account to a social identity provider, assuming your password for that social identity provider isn't something simple to bruteforce / dictionary attack, and the password for the email account tied to either should be equally tight (majority of hacks are via gaining access to an email account, which then allows you to 'forgot password' on most common services to gain access to everything else. Above all, email passwords should be complex.)

PP generally dont't release funds to accounts that haven't been sufficiently verified via phone confirmation code and bank account transaction (random value under £1 taken from bank account, value to be re-entered into PP verification to prove legitimacy of the bound bank account) if the transaction is over a specified amount... 

If anything, PP's security processes are tighter than most high street banks' online services.

Archived