SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alt-Az Mounts in General (Not just Skytee II)

johninderby

OK as the recent Skytee II thread has been locked think there is still plenty to,discuss and that thread was evolving away from the Skytee II anyway.

Like the idea of the Berlebach Alt-Az mount but feel it’s a bit overpriced for what it is but gives ideas to diy builders. So anyone going to come up with their own version?

C76D9B7F-BCEA-4ADB-8597-01A8B6088A04.jpeg

8 minutes ago, johninderby said:

OK as the recent Skytee II thread has been locked think there is still plenty to,discuss and that thread was evolving away from the Skytee II anyway.

Like the idea of the Berlebach Alt-Az mount but feel it’s a bit overpriced for what it is but gives ideas to diy builders. So anyone going to come up with their own version?

C76D9B7F-BCEA-4ADB-8597-01A8B6088A04.jpeg

Absolutely! Will give it a go and report back!

Couple of ADM dovetail bars and a piece of aluminium bar across the top.  Then bolt one of these to each side and stick a saddle on top and job done. Or drill and thread holes for counterweight bars.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3898_TS-Optics-Counterweight-Shaft-with-Dovetail-Plate---Balancing.html

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I use one of those on my William Optics EZTouch mount - needed especially when I am using the Celestron C9.25. Works well, but eye-wateringly expensive for what it is (Eur 73 incl postage). I have seen a posting on SGL about how to make one much cheaper. Being not very mechanical, I simply paid up with a smile ? and it was with me in about 3 days.

The fact it is Berlebach is a big incentive, German solid construction. No soft alloy hardware. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10081_Berlebach-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-and-large-Binoculars.html

Replace the top clamp with a longer, at least 2 knobs clamp though, as the AZ EQ6 has. 

I noticed in the photo the mount is on a crank-up centre column tripod which Berlebach also make. As the mount is only attached by a single 3/8 inch screw that would limit how heavy the mount, weights and OTA could be used.

Mounting a 120mm refractor though, especially a heavy triplet such as an Esprit might be its limit. @Johnit might not be strong enough for your big 130mm unless an EQ5 tripod type attachment is available.

49 minutes ago, 25585 said:

The fact it is Berlebach is a big incentive, German solid construction. No soft alloy hardware. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10081_Berlebach-Altazimuth-Mount-for-Telescopes-and-large-Binoculars.html

Replace the top clamp with a longer, at least 2 knobs clamp though, as the AZ EQ6 has. 

I noticed in the photo the mount is on a crank-up centre column tripod which Berlebach also make. As the mount is only attached by a single 3/8 inch screw that would limit how heavy the mount, weights and OTA could be used.

Mounting a 120mm refractor though, especially a heavy triplet such as an Esprit might be its limit. @Johnit might not be strong enough for your big 130mm unless an EQ5 tripod type attachment is available.

Not everything has to be over-engineered! The fact is, it will be virtually perfectly balanced so there is little strain on the bolt. Also the bolt is clamping the surfaces together which is what gives the strength, not just the bolt. 

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Couple of ADM dovetail bars and a piece of aluminium bar across the top.  Then bolt one of these to each side and stick a saddle on top and job done. Or drill and thread holes for counterweight bars.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3898_TS-Optics-Counterweight-Shaft-with-Dovetail-Plate---Balancing.html

Theoretically a beefier mount could be modified from a Skytee if the puck from its top could be fixed to the blank end of its horizontal axis. That would be strong and take Losmandy D bars etc.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not everything has to be over-engineered! The fact is, it will be virtually perfectly balanced so there is little strain on the bolt. Also the bolt is clamping the surfaces together which is what gives the strength, not just the bolt. 

I do tend to be Brunelesque a bit LOL. Do you rate the mount strong enough for a 150mm refractor such as the (hopefully soon) forthcoming SW 150 ED? 

21 hours ago, 25585 said:

I do tend to be Brunelesque a bit LOL. Do you rate the mount strong enough for a 150mm refractor such as the (hopefully soon) forthcoming SW 150 ED? 

Yes, I’d noticed ;) 

Well it is quoted as capable of handling a 150mm refractor and from looking at its design it seems inherently balanced and stable. The alt axis is sharing the weight across the two mounting points and will be naturally balanced. The az axis will similarly be balanced and should be very smooth. I can’t see why it would not cope with a decent sized scope, the tripod would be the main variable to get right I think.

Going back to the Berlebach, it has several features which attract me;

1) scope on top 

2) goes on a photo tripod

3) height adjustable and good for tall users due to 2) but also it's own side supports

4) counter weighting in 2 halves so smaller weights

5) looks portable unweighted 

Only cons are the price and whether a Primaluce clamp holes are the correct spacing to fit in place  of the OE Vixen.

4 hours ago, 25585 said:

Does anyone own or has owned a Tech 2000 GiroCube G3 mount?

Web site here http://www.tech2000astronomy.com/giro_G3_mounts/

I have seen the website but in all the years I've been browsing SGL and CN (and Astromart before they charged) I can't recall seeing one actually being owned or used :icon_scratch:

I have owned a Bray Tablet mount which was a UK produced heavy duty "T" style design. The Giro XL was produced for a short while but is pretty rare I think.

I still think there is a niche for a ~£500 alt-az mount between the Skytee II / Ercole and the £1K plus ones.

2 hours ago, 25585 said:

The Altair Sabre mount seems solid. Does anyone have experience of using one?

https://www.tringastro.co.uk/altair-sabre-alt-azimuth-telescope-mount-2898-p.asp

I've had one. It was nice enough. About the same as a Giro II but not as stable or smooth as the Ercole or Skytee II, at least the example that I had was not. I think they might vary a bit in performance. Nice looking mount though:

tmb130sabre01.JPG

1 hour ago, AdeKing said:

I'm pretty sure that Martin (@Grumpy Martian) is/was using one with an OO VX8 and was very pleased with it.

My Altar Sabre is a MK 2 with the larger bearings. With counter weights I can use my eight inch f4. 5 Newtonian smoothly. I understand that Altar are developing encoders so that the Sabre can be used as. Push to mount. 

Archived