SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is there a place for Barlows/Powermates in DSO imaging

ste7e

Hi all

I'm thinking about investing in a Powermate for planetary imaging and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it for DSO imaging, too.  It'll make my decision easier if I can use it for both :)

I currently image at F/5 - SW 200PDS on an EQ6-R with an ASI1600MM.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks

Steve

Two ways to image a small DSO:

2X Barlow will double your image size but will require longer exposures,  with more chance of guide errors and camera noise.

Cropping your non-Barlowed image, okay if you have a multi-megapixel image to play with.

Michael 

18 hours ago, ste7e said:

I'm thinking about investing in a Powermate for planetary imaging and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use it for DSO imaging, too.  It'll make my decision easier if I can use it for both :)

Since you are planning to buy it irrespective of whether people here think it can be used for DSOs, there is no harm in giving it a try when you have it.

There are only 3 planets that produce interesting images, you will have plenty of opportunity to try other targets once you have imaged them! I hope you will post your experiences as the vast majority of DSOs are small and would make excellent targets, though you'll need to collect more subs than when working at F/5

3 hours ago, pete_l said:

Since you are planning to buy it irrespective of whether people here think it can be used for DSOs, there is no harm in giving it a try when you have it.

There are only 3 planets that produce interesting images, you will have plenty of opportunity to try other targets once you have imaged them! I hope you will post your experiences as the vast majority of DSOs are small and would make excellent targets, though you'll need to collect more subs than when working at F/5

I'm still at the "thinking of" rather than the "planning to" stage. Hence the post to help me decide :)

Collecting more subs at longer exposure times is a strong consideration. 

I'm still considering my options on this one.

I'm now wondering about getting the Celestron Luminos 2.5x Barlow instead of the Powermate.  I've read reviews that say it's as good if not better for observing.  Is there anything else I need to take into consideration for imaging, though?  If it's as good for observing, will that simply mean it's as good for imaging?

Archived