Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece gap

mahone1978

Hey all,

I`m thinking there is a gap or two in my eyepiece collection and thought some of you helpful people might be able to help?

I am currently using the following: Moonfish 30mm 80deg, 24mm Hyperion, 13mm Hyperion, 7mm baader ortho. I do have some other eyepieces from a set but they dont seem as good so tend not to use them.

Personally i see there is space for a 5mm and 10mm or barlow. This is where i`m getting stuck and i`m getting a bit lost as to the best `next purchase` .

I know this is a common question but would appreciate any advice...

I`ve got a budget of £100 per E/P but this as usual is somewhat flexible :undecided:

regards,

John M

Hello John M!

What is the focal length of your 6" Meade Refractor? (Might be around 1000mm).

You may be better off buying a good Barlow, such as the 2x Celestron Ultima.

The combination of your 7mm Orthoscopic would give you somewhere in the region of either 142x without the Barlow, and 284x with.

It could be that you may be reaching your scope's (and the atmosphere's) limit with 284x.

And of course, having a 2x Barlow, would give you a whole new range of magnifications when used with your other eyepieces.

Best Wishes,

philsail1

I agree - get a Barlow. There's no real gap in your collection (I do nearly all my observing with just 2 or 3 eyepieces). Main thing is finding a small number that you really like and use - a barlow doubles your magnification options.

Andrew

Archived