Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comet 21P approaches the North America Nebula

There is an interesting observing/imaging event coming up. Comet 21P/Giacobini-Zinner will be passing the bright emission nebula NGC7000 (the North America Nebula) in Cygnus between June 19 and June 21. There is an article about what you might see by the BAA Comet Section Director, Nick James, here.

There is also an observing tutorial on The visual observation of comets by Nick's predecessor, Jonathan Shanklin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, alanjgreen said:

Bagged it last night in big dob. It's big and bright and easy to see.

Must have another look then, took this a while ago, hardly big and bright then, single frame.

Dave

21P-GZ-08-07-18.png.f380f339e0fab83841c56af8f1fce63c.png

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

I just had my first view of 21P around 11ish. tonight. It was fairly obvious in my 4" at 19x -  less than 2 deg. from 10 Cas. Just a smudge, but perhaps a bit brighter than 9 mag.

andrew

Thanks Andrew, I'll go have another look now it's a bit darker.

Dave

It's a nice still night here. Just been looking at comet 21P again, forming a close triangle with two 10th mag. stars. It looks to have brightened a bit from a few nights ago. At 39x with a 4" a fuzzy haze with a hint of a  bright core. Saw a lovely bright orangey meteor around 10.45 below Ursa Major and a fainter one in Corona Borealis. 

andrew

Yes I viewed it for the first time last night in the 12" Dob and the 13mm Ethos. Its reasonably bright. Easily found by star hopping from  Gamma Cassiopeia up to star K and then to the right of stars 13 and 16. This was the first real time trying out my 80mm Finderscope - brilliant and I could see the Comet as well.

Got it with the ED120 tonight. Nice little comet between 3 stars right now. I guess it's around mag 8 ish ?

Picked up with an Aero ED 40mm SWA finder eyepiece but pops out much more with the 21mm Ethos.

It has brighten up in the last week. Much more obvious on the finder. At 108x 12" Dob (Lunar influence) the comet seems to have shown an undefined elongation coma/tail. Similar to the ones seen on previous apparitions. More like an elongated coma than a defined tail. 

It does seem quite variable, been observing / imaging it off and on for a few weeks and at times it has been bright enough to guide on in PHD and not other times.

After this week it will start diving down the sky thank goodness as the camera is close to hitting mount ATM :)

Dave

Just had a look at it and it's really bright tonight, brightest I've seen it, just started imaging it so hopefully it will stay clear for a while.

Difficult to estimate brightness as there's nothing close at hand to compare, it's by far the brightest thing in the FOV.

Dave

Interesting photo Dave :smiley:

I thought I could see some elongation of this comet with my 130mm refractor last night and I think your image confirms my observation.

Thanks for posting :thumbright:

I was shown it on Saturday night (while viewings with members of SPOG ) thru a Starwave 6 " refractor, it was there but if I was looking for it I could easy miss it?  Lets hope it brightens a few more mag over the coming weeks.

Peter

40 minutes ago, John said:

Just picked the comet up with my TV Ranger 70mm scope. Not an obvious object by any means. If I'd not been looking carefully for it, I'd have probably passed it by.

Don't know if it's me or varying conditions but it seems brighter on some nights then dimmer, stuck my head out a couple of times tonight but too much cloud ATM.

Imaging it some nights it's been bright enough to guide on but not others.

Using 10"SCT.

Dave

Archived