Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which quark?

On 16 June 2018 at 07:23, Demonperformer said:

For some time I have been considering the purchase of a quark solar eyepiece, but I can't decide which one! It comes in two brands: "prominence" and "chromosphere", apparently each one is used to look at different bits. But it seems to me that both of these form part of the Ha experience. Of course, the ideal solution would be to purchase both - but that is impractical for other (financial) reasons. So which of these options is the best for "general purpose" viewing/imaging? Don't know!

So, quark-owners, which one did you buy and why?

Thanks.

There is a Sky at Night magazine review of both Quarks. 

It says if you only buy one go for the chromosphere model, but the prominence model does give better contrast for prominences. Both have different wave bands. 

The article also says if you view through an aperture over 3 inches, an energy reflection filter is also needed. 

It's a decisional dilemma which Quark to choose. I like prominences more, but don't want to be too restricted. How much chromosphere detail is lost using a prominence Quark, rather than the other way round?

Also for diagonals, mirror or prism, & any specific type?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"It's a decisional dilemma which Quark to choose. I like prominences more, but don't want to be too restricted. How much chromosphere detail is lost using a prominence Quark, rather than the other way round?"

Exactly. 

I believe if you use the prom version, you lose quite a bit of chromosphere detail. If you use a chromosphere version, you lose very little prom detail.

Chromosphere offers the best of both worlds. 

On 18/06/2018 at 10:34, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I am seriously thinking about getting a Quark, and the chromosphere version is certainly the one I am going for. Hadn't heard about the Mg-I quark. Sounds very interesting

Interesting that you are considering a Quark Michael with all your superb solar gear. I've been tempted too in the past as a complement to my Lunt. How would you envisage using a Quark?

Need a more detailed review of the prominence model. "Everyone" & S@N mag with the chromosphere model is only a demographic trend being reported. 

Are there any scientific reviews/evaluations, both lab & observational between the 2 Quarks. 

Perhaps a humble Hershel Wedge for chromo would be as good?

There is a CN thread, which I posted on. 

4 minutes ago, Demonperformer said:

As an alternative at the moment, the Lunt 50 is on offer and about the same price @FLO ...

If you are considering imaging then check the detailed threads on here about the stock poor helical Focuser that comes with the 50. I didn’t have a great experience with mine as others will testify. If you are observing, then it’s fine but I couldn’t get focus with my Baader zoom EP.

Archived