Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which quark?

For some time I have been considering the purchase of a quark solar eyepiece, but I can't decide which one! It comes in two brands: "prominence" and "chromosphere", apparently each one is used to look at different bits. But it seems to me that both of these form part of the Ha experience. Of course, the ideal solution would be to purchase both - but that is impractical for other (financial) reasons. So which of these options is the best for "general purpose" viewing/imaging? Don't know!

So, quark-owners, which one did you buy and why?

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to following this thread... I researched Quark ages ago (when they were considerably cheaper) I didn't buy one to my regret, I should have bought 10... Once again I'm doing the research - Quark, Lunt, Wedge, Coronado or just use the Slooh online telescope (which is offline quite a bit ? ) I think from what I remember Daystar actually recommended the Chromosphere model if you want to do both surface and prominence.

I have the chromosphere and it works for both proms and surface detail. Not used the other ver.

Great piece of kit!

Takes a bit longer to set up than a dedicated Lunt H_alpha scope as it takes a few mins to get to teperature. Worthwhile, though.

Thanks for the responses. Looks as though "chromosphere" is the way to go.

Does make me wonder what the "prominence" option is for, though. Or is it just a marketing ploy to get unsuspecting mugs … I mean people to part with twice the cash?

ditto I havnt a clue why thay have the prom one, heres a tip quarks don't like droopy focuser I adjust mine about once a month or you get newton rings or miss the light path all together, I think a lot of people think there quark isn't up to par because of this small adjustment. charl.

5 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

ditto I havnt a clue why thay have the prom one,

I’m sure they only do it to give them a sales route for the Quarks with poorer/broader bandpasses, otherwise they would fail QC for the chromosphere version.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’m sure they only do it to give them a sales route for the Quarks with poorer/broader bandpasses, otherwise they would fail QC for the chromosphere version.

I suppose that is a possibility. It would make sense that surface detail would require a more stringent piece. So that would be make it, if it's up to scratch then sell it as a chromosphere model and if it isn't sell it as a prominence model for the same price.

Even better reason for going down the chromosphere route.

I have both and would recommend the Chromosphere version if only buying one. The Prominence version does do what it says though, showing greater detail in proms and spicules, though less surface detail than the Chromosphere version.

3 hours ago, Joves said:

I have both and would recommend the Chromosphere version if only buying one. The Prominence version does do what it says though, showing greater detail in proms and spicules, though less surface detail than the Chromosphere version.

Aaron, you’re alive!! Good to hear from you :) 

On 16/06/2018 at 19:38, Demonperformer said:

Certainly none that have weighed in to this thread. The chromosphere version would definitely appear to be the way to go. 

Now there are the Ca, Na & Mg versions to consider ...

Lots of choices, but no "Budget" version ?

Archived