Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik One 6.0 mono camera focussing

25 minutes ago, A40farinagolf said:

I have an Atik One 6.0 camera that I haven't used since buying it 2nd hand and I have an embarrassingly simple question.

When I mount it to my scope how do I know that it's focussed before I take the photo?

I guess, that like any astro camera, you'll use the camera to find focus at the beginning of a session. You'll probably have to make very slight adjustments to focus every now and again because of temperature changes.

Louise

If you don't have a motorised focuser which can take advantage of the autofocus features built in to many capture software packages, use a bahtinov mask and take a test image with a bright star in it , (you can bin 2x2 to speed up download). Adjust focus and take another image. Repeat until the bahtinov pattern indicates focus is correct. Remove the mask and take your images. Remember to switch back to 1x1 binning if you want the highest resolution. As the temperature changes focus will change so it's best to check with the mask every hour or so.

Alan

I had a play this afternoon and connected a Canon lens to the Atik camera and managed to photograph so trees in the distance. My Canon lens has a back focus of 44mm and the Atik is 27mm so I used an adjustable spacer set at 17mm to get me in the right back focus area. After a bit of tweaking it worked a treat so I'm ready to try it on the sky soon.

Thanks for your help and guidance. 

Archived